586,104 active members*
3,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: die box

die box

is there anyway of setting a die box on a sl10 that can multi pass like a G84 with a dwell. thank you

Maybe it will help you.
    133 - REPT Rigid Tap
    This setting ensures that the spindle is oriented during tapping so that the
    threads will line up when a second tapping pass, in the same hole, is programmed.

setting is on did not work ripped all the thread on return.
    my problem is i have to do a 3/8 unc on 316 s/s 58mm long and with a insert i get .4mm push off so though die box would be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ohbuckley View Post
    setting is on did not work ripped all the thread on return.
    my problem is i have to do a 3/8 unc on 316 s/s 58mm long and with a insert i get .4mm push off so though die box would be the answer.
    Means your tap is slipping in the holder.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Bet you are running a rap in a collet. It slipped. Try an actual tap collet that has a square drive built in.

Is this an external thread?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBoyce View Post
    Is this an external thread?
    With G84??????
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I finally caught on...die box. External thread. How are you holding the die? Still possible it slipped in the Z position. Switch to single point threading.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I finally caught on...die box. External thread. How are you holding the die? Still possible it slipped in the Z position. Switch to single point threading.
    the die box is in a sleeve in a tool postion. i have no way of making it float.
    single point threading i am unsure what this is?
    sorted now turned them down and put them in the capston.
    only 140 off but have more to do in the next month so would like to be able to have them done on the cnc.

G76 is example of single point threading. Check your manual. Go watch some videos on lathe threading on YouTube.

Is it possible to see a picture of your instrument and video processing on a conventional lathe?