586,971 active members*
2,928 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Question Blue line laser vs green/red?

I wanted the SSL scanner with projector but just can't find enough information on what I need in a projector to go spend $500-$600 on a projector that I have no idea if it will do the job :drowning:

So I have decide to start off with a laser scanner (it's just cheaper to see if this will actual scan enough detail for my needs) I have read that RED 635nm line lasers are common, cheapest but not as accurate and get more distortion . The GREEN line laser is more expensive, gets better quality and appears to have a narrower/finer 532nm laser line then red, I also read that green is picked up better by the cameras then red . I see on the David site there is a BLUE 405nm line laser but I don't see any comments good or bad about these I would guess that the narrower/finer laser line would again be better quality is that a correct assumption? How does the blue light do with the camera better or worse then red or green

SO is a blue laser worth getting or should I stay away form it

Just in case it matters the objects I want to scan are up to about max of 12" long by 2" wide by 8" deep they have hollow internal sections and detailed extremal section and will be turned on a rotary table while scanning. I want to use these scans to make detailed injection dies for now

Green works best because your standard cheap webcam has 2 green for every one 1 and blue pixel. IDEALLY if you could create a white laser line, you'd be using all the pixels. Green also is a lower wavelength than red, so it reflects back easier.

ive successfully used 405nm twice. One was a pistol grip and the other was a purple les paul neck. other than that yea, green is the way to go.

Your turn table will only need to rotate after a scan. Once you master controlling a stepper motor for the laser sweep, turntable is easier.