586,102 active members*
3,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > CMC Systems & Tape Emulator

Question CMC Systems & Tape Emulator

Hi folks,

My SM1 came with a tape emulator (CMC Systems) and an ancient laptop (Windows 98) with the software to load the emulator. It works great, but I'd like to get the latest version of the software to put on a different PC. Anyone know if there is newer software around? If not newer software, maybe a description of the protocol.

The web site (http://www.cmcsystems.com/) seems to have been abandoned. Haven't tried calling yet.

On an unrelated note, I noticed the slowest feed rate seems to be 0.1"/min (running g-code image). I was using a slow spindle speed, and this feed rate wasn't giving me a very good finish. I assume I should take a deep cut at a slower spindle speed, then change the spindle speed, and do the fine feed to get a better finish. Not hard, but depending on the speed, may have to stop the spindle and change gears (which reverses spindle direction).

I thought I saw a "polish mode" mentioned in the manual for the conversational mode. Are they somehow able to reduce the feed rate below 0.1 in this mode?

Thanks,
    Tony

SM1 on EMC2

Tony

Why not convert it to EMC2? That's what I did to My SM1 It would not load the tape from the tape reader or emulator.

I now have a large Color display and lots of program storage. Also would give you more control.

Donnie

Hi Donnie,

Yes conversion to EMC is the eventual plan. Shortly after getting the SM1, I even pestered you about your conversion! I liked your strategy about re-using the servo amps, though I have also seen a few threads on the EMC list about making their own amps as well.

Fortunately, my SM1 is currently working pretty well, so my plan was to keep it operational while doing the EMC experimenting.

I would LOVE to hear how your conversion went, any pictures you have, and suggestions you'd like to share.

Thanks,
    Tony

Try Shane Martin [email protected] He was the main repairman at CMC. He started his own business.
    Best regards,
    Richard Konnen

I have a new Windows software for your emulator that is free. Also full support for SM1

www.hurcousa.com
    www.amtsinc.com

Buddy

I'm helping out a buddy with an SM1 with the tape emulator and tried to download the software for windows and it is asking for a password to unzip. Do I need a password or just missing something?
    Thank you in advance!

hI,

I'm having the same problem its asking for a password to extract and install the file. Can someone send that password to me? Private message here, or even better...txt to 319 493 8670 would be great

Thanks

God bless...
    Mark

Hi,

So I found out the solution is as easy as calling Buddy at Accurate Machine.

770-995-0461 The password is free but you just have to call for it. (He is also an expert on fixing the Hurco machines)

God bless...
    Mark