586,102 active members*
3,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Axes velocity settings

I was trying to cut threads in 6061 on my 2011 Patriot and needed to take the velocity up in the Mach 3 motor tuning tab. The default setting is approximately 10 ipm but that limited spindle rpm to around 175, too low for clean threads. I took it to 50 ipm for the X and Z lathe axes and ran a sub-routine that moved each axis 50 times one inch up and then returned it one inch down. After zeroing out the Jenix and the Mach 3 DROs, at the end of 50 runs, the Jenix was off by 0.0004 on each of the Z and X axes confirming that I was not losing any steps. My spindle speed for threading can now get to 800 rpm.

I was curious what settings others used? My acceleration is approximately 10 i/sec/sec on the Xand Z axes. I now worry that I need to add home and limit switches as the saddle really moves fast. Has anyone added them to their machines?

Joe

I have been using the Wizard NSF Turn though Mach3, and there threading wizard is set for inches per revolution instead of inches per minute. I have a 2010 Patriot and had it setup with the advanced settings and wiring from the Shopmaster manual. What I like about it is that if you have an odd size thread, you can get the information on the major and minor diameters from the Machinist Handbook and add them into your file of threads. With this Wizard you can pull up the threading job and choose the thread pitch from your library and the the only info it needs is the start and stop points for the Z and X. You don't have to cut a chamfer or a thread relief at the end of the thread. The software will retract the tool for each pass.

Yes, I have been using both the Quick and Complex threading wizard. The problem was that the default velocity settings in the Patriot manual was for 10 ipm which affects the max spindle speed I could use as follows: Spindle speed= Fmax (10 ipm) /p (single start thread). Since my Fmax was only 10 for a M1.5 thread, I was maxing out at around 282 rpm which is too low for a clean thread in 6061. Taking it up to 50 ipm takes spindle speed up to 847 rpm, which got me much cleaner threads. What got me wondering was that this new setting is 5x the default setting.

I have a 2011 machine and my steppers stall when I run over 20 ipm on both axis at the same time. I think I have ran up to 30 ipm threading (the z axis is the only axis that moves much on the lathe), but I typically avoid running it that fast to avoid stalling. Perhaps my acceleration is incorrect, what is everyone using for those values?

I would love to see everyone else's config. This whole machining/cnc has been a lot of trial and error!

Quote Originally Posted by j2mariashop View Post
    Yes, I have been using both the Quick and Complex threading wizard. The problem was that the default velocity settings in the Patriot manual was for 10 ipm which affects the max spindle speed I could use as follows: Spindle speed= Fmax (10 ipm) /p (single start thread). Since my Fmax was only 10 for a M1.5 thread, I was maxing out at around 282 rpm which is too low for a clean thread in 6061. Taking it up to 50 ipm takes spindle speed up to 847 rpm, which got me much cleaner threads. What got me wondering was that this new setting is 5x the default setting.
    I think the default setting was for the older units with front mounted leadscrews. The front mounted leadscrew required some careful adjusting and tweaking of the gibs to avoid table rock and stalling. The new machines with center mounted ballscrews are much smoother and can run much faster- maybe they just forgot to update the .xml files

OK, that makes sense. I cut some threads last night and it worked fine. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j2mariashop View Post
    OK, that makes sense. I cut some threads last night and it worked fine. Thanks
    Got any videos you could post?