586,047 active members*
3,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

KRMx02 50x27" cost questions?

Has anyone started a 50x27" build yet? How accurate are you finding the $3900 cost estimate?

How much are all the upgrades costing people?

Like most cost estimates and price lists

The cost estimate does not include:
    Shipping
    Taxes
    Stand
    PC
    CAD/CAM software
    Paint and/or Finish
    EChain and other upgrades like switches and Estops

These will vary depending on location and preferences.

Unlike other cost estimates and price lists, the KRMx02 build estimates do include the following:
    Mach3 Software License
    Router
    Router Mount
    Electronics and cableling

The cost estimates are taken from the BOMs, which I keep fairly accurate. The one item that may vary is the nuts and bolts. If you have access to a TSC or other location that sells by the pound, then the cost will be accurate. If you order higher grade hardware from the web, then the price may be a off.

The 50x27 build is the most popular build size. There have been no complaints about my estimates so I doubt they are off by much. As a matter of fact some have used other sources for the steel used in the build and have saved.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Oh hey, thanks for the response.

Yep I got a farm supply that does bolts by the lb, also already have a Bosch 1617EVS router and figured I would start with an MDF table versus the 1030 to save costs. Figure that might help me stick more around $3500 to start a 50x27.

I am dying to see a few 50x27 finished build threads before I start my build.

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    Like most cost estimates and price lists

The cost estimate does not include:
    Shipping
    Taxes
    Stand
    PC
    CAD/CAM software
    Paint and/or Finish
    EChain and other upgrades like switches and Estops

These will vary depending on location and preferences.

Unlike other cost estimates and price lists, the KRMx02 build estimates do include the following:
    Mach3 Software License
    Router
    Router Mount
    Electronics and cableling

The cost estimates are taken from the BOMs, which I keep fairly accurate. The one item that may vary is the nuts and bolts. If you have access to a TSC or other location that sells by the pound, then the cost will be accurate. If you order higher grade hardware from the web, then the price may be a off.

The 50x27 build is the most popular build size. There have been no complaints about my estimates so I doubt they are off by much. As a matter of fact some have used other sources for the steel used in the build and have saved.

Something to keep in mind is that you can build the 50x27 and later upgrade to 50x50. Just make your table large enough to hold the 50x50 and all you will need to do is upgrade the Y-beams. the gantry (X and Z ) is identical on both.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

I am really struggling between the two. Part of me says 50x27 is huge and if need be I can index a 4x8 sheet through the machine using some type of alignment . The other part of me says if I decide to upgrade later I will be kicking myself.

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    Something to keep in mind is that you can build the 50x27 and later upgrade to 50x50. Just make your table large enough to hold the 50x50 and all you will need to do is upgrade the Y-beams. the gantry (X and Z ) is identical on both.

The most popular builds are the 30x27 and 50x27 builds. It all comes down to space. currently I had to gain some space in my shop. I had four CNC machines at one time.

KRMx01 40x44
    KRMx02 18x14
    KRMx02 30x27
    KRMx02 50x50

I am now down to jus the two KRMx02 machines
    18x14 and 30x27.

I chose the 30x27 machine because that is what I used 90% of the time. The 18x14 is my demo/experimental machine.