586,096 active members*
3,444 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Need to build or buy 5 Axis CNC Machine for Auto/Truck Engines and Parts?

Need to build or buy 5 Axis CNC Machine for Auto/Truck Engines and Parts?

Hi All,

Appologies up front if this has been asked before. However, as I have searched I havent been able to find an answer to this question. My dilemna is this!

I need a 5 axis machining center or a variant thereof to machine engines, heads, parts, etc.... what I dont need is the price associated with automotive/truck industry.

I would consider a used machining center but I dont have the knowledge of the following:
    1. Knowledge of the different brands of used machines that are 5 axis.
    2. Knowledge of the different brands of used machines that are less than 5 axis but can be converted to 5 axis by mixing and matching parts.
    3. The correct size of a used 5 axis or one converted to 5 axis that I can fit typical sized Auto V8's, Straight Sixes, typical heads, etc...
    4. Price is key... I can rebuild anything even if its junk all the way down to PC Board Component level.... Meaning if I have to make an entire new controller board from scratch or anything else I can easily do this. Think outside the box here for any ideas or suggestions?
    5. I am in the market now for this so if there are any businesses out there that have this equipment or what I need please feel free to contact me.

Although there maybe equipment that is affordable in price range I havent been able to find it... except maybe from time to time, so my next thoght was this.

I have the capapbility to build my own machining center as I have already built a smaller 5 axis machine center that is very specific purpose with used Robotic parts, tracks, etc... its quite large and takes up a space of 25' x 12, gantry type, and has a rocking bed... so actually, it would be more than 5 axis. I primarily use it for modeling very large full size parts, cars, doors, engines in composites... Anyways,, my thoughts are to create something similar again smaller for machining engines, heads etc... obviously I need to have the tolerances as a machining center but I can also build this. I have no issues with custom programming, building or designing boards, motors, drivers, PS's, etc.... I am more than saavy to take this on.....

The age old question is just because someone can do something it doesnt mean they should!

So, here is where I need input so Im not re -inventing the wheel.... if you all know where I can pick up a cheap used beatup 5 axis or 3 axis to convert... Or any of our advertisers? that would meet my needs could you guide me this direction or to these businesses that can meet my needs? OR,,, is there someone out there who has already built something that I can duplicate with the same needs that I have?

Thanks again,, I hope I have posted this in the correct area and I appreciate all your suggestions in advance.

John

What do you consider to be cheap or affordable? $10K? $50K? $100K?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

5 axis pick and place and light routing is the easiest 5 axis to make. Rigid 5 axis machines that are aware of where they are are the most expensive as far as components. Making sure everything is flat, rigid and machines well is also expensive. What your asking for on the knowledge side is what took engineers decades to obtain. Cheap 5 axis machining machines are out there like right now there is a used matsurra with a 5 axis table for $40K but what will you program it with? Be assured that a good CAM will set you back at least 10K to start with and even with a used machine your stuck with its issues. Not saying it cannot be done but it takes $$$
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Thanks for the info.... to answer what I would consider affordable would be in the area of 10k-40k, not worried about software have this part undercontrol. just need a platform (Machine) to start with or build with. As stated I can certainly do this as it is not difficult or rocket science and have built many machines specific to my business and others. I would even look to find something in pieces as long as it was large enough.

I have my doubts that trying to build a suitable machine is worthwhile.

Finding a used machine to rebuild would likely be the most economical approach. If you are talking building a machine from the ground up, one off, castings and all, I just don't see the project being practical or cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
    Thanks for the info.... to answer what I would consider affordable would be in the area of 10k-40k, not worried about software have this part undercontrol. just need a platform (Machine) to start with or build with. As stated I can certainly do this as it is not difficult or rocket science and have built many machines specific to my business and others. I would even look to find something in pieces as long as it was large enough.
    10k-40k for a 5 axis? Body parts, maybe. Engine and drivetrain parts, not likely.

Wow! I guess I should throw myself in front of a Bus! :banana:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KLNJ8d8Vqc"]Kirkham Motorsports University CNC Billet Aluminum 427 FE Engine Block 1 of 3 - YouTube[/ame]

www.KirkhamMotorsports.com

SHEEPLE; should spend more time reading my signature. It should probably say "Those who say it can't be done should not reply AT ALL on this thread"

No one needs to reply, Ive already contacted (The I Can Guys) and gotten the info I need to move forward.

Wow! I guess I should throw myself in front of a Bus! :banana:

Kirkham Motorsports University CNC Billet Aluminum 427 FE Engine Block 1 of 3 - YouTube

Kirkham Motorsports

SHEEPLE; should spend more time reading my signature. It should probably say "Those who say it can't be done should not reply AT ALL on this thread"

No one needs to reply, Ive already contacted (The I Can Guys) and gotten the info I need to move forward.
    LOL. Your idiocy precedes you. Why should we have to research your signature before replying? I will be off to do some work on a 150k 4th axis machine now (which is still pretty cheap - VF-6 with 4th added). Bye bye.

Wow! I guess I should throw myself in front of a Bus! :banana::
    You asked for opinions on building a 5 axis machine from the ground up as such you shouldn't reject what you get. Especially when you don't define what you want to do well.

The rational approach to doing this cheap is rebuilding an existing machine. But even that isn't a cake walk expense wise.

OK. Please post back when you have something working reliably.

We just finished a 5 axis gear hobber. Parts were over $100,000. Good luck!

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Do it like this guy: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56YIwNz4QYM]The Ben Heck Show - Build a Portable CNC Router for Fun and Profit - YouTube[/ame]

I might be wrong, (it's happened before) but I didn't see anything on the Kirkham video that couldn't be machined on a 3-axis machine with an indexer.

Contouring ports in cylinder heads, that's another situation.LOL

Dick Z
    DZASTR