586,075 active members*
4,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > STL file looses surfaces when converted

STL file looses surfaces when converted

I'm trying to open a STL file with surfaces but mastercam converts it to wireframe only. We have mastercam 9.1 and X but neither work. I have been able to open it with surfaces if I use 9.1, STL converter, Xform File but then it doesn't save it with surfaces. I am more experienced with 9.1 and hope someone can help me figure this out to open my files in that version. :cheers:

STL

An STL file does not have surfaces on it that you can machine. You will have to ask for a different file format.

Is there a way to convert the file to iges format? Or another format that will work?

Quote Originally Posted by SchulzeA View Post
    I'm trying to open a STL file with surfaces but mastercam converts it to wireframe only. We have mastercam 9.1 and X but neither work. I have been able to open it with surfaces if I use 9.1, STL converter, Xform File but then it doesn't save it with surfaces. I am more experienced with 9.1 and hope someone can help me figure this out to open my files in that version. :cheers:
    A STL file is : Wiki link
    a wireframe of triangles to give an appearance of a mesh, some CAD systems can shade the mesh but it contains NO surfacing or solids data, only a direction attached to each triangle to indicate the outward face

Some CAD systems can place surfaces on a STL, but it would have to be exported into a different format ie. IGES, PARASOLID, or STEP for use in mastercam
    - V9....you have to have purchased the STEP translator to be able to do this format

Space Claim can take the STL to surfaces but not Mastercam any version. Well I do have a V9 tool that takes the triangles and turns them into surfaces but it will be 1000,s of surfaces.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I figured it out. Open the STL file in autocad, then save it as a IGES. Then use the IGES file converter in mastercam. It will show all of the surfaces and it allows them to be used for tool paths.