586,269 active members*
3,394 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool eye and drill centers

Hi

After a bit of help and advice with regards to a Mazak QT20N with a T2 controller.

I was setting up and running a test program as the machine is new to us, measured all the tools on the tool eye set Z-0 and ran the program however as the tool approches in X it stops way short and starts cutting, the controller will say X 50 but in fact the tool is at X 90.0.

The other problem I am having is setting the offset for the drill holders I can't find a refrence for the defined X offset to be entered.

Is there a parameter setting for the tool eye?

We have just changed the machine from imperial to metric and adjusted all the B parameters to suit.

Regards

Will

If you are attempting to set the drill's X offset by touching the side of the drill to the tool eye, you will be off center line by the diameter of the drill. The X offset should be when the drill (drill holder) is on center line. Most machinists keep this number handy and just type it in every time a center cutting tool such as a drill, ream, or tap is used.

Hi

No not touching on the side, like our Miyano I thought there should be a set figure to type in that sets the center of the drill to the center of the spindle.

The tool eye problem is with a standard od turning tool or boreing bar, after measuring with the tool eye it doesn't set the offsets correctly.

Regards

Will

Then you probably need someone that can walk you through the calibration procedure.

Have you checked your Tool Data/Data2 page? That has gotten me more than a few times. I don't know if you're using software or not, but providing the part is simple enough I suggest writting the program at the machine.
    My experience is most Mazaks never require a sensor calibration (ever), so the problem is either in the program or aforementioned settings.