Servo motor was making a slightly pitched humming sound then machine stopped cutting. Rebooted machine and it worked for a little while; sometimes even finished cutting the sheet metal. Switched motor locations and same scenario. Spoke with tech over phone: he was pretty certain it was the motor.
Purchased an $1800 motor plus shipping and tax (whew!) installed motor and same thing happened. Error message that comes up on controller is: Axes: X Following error Exceeded. According to manual it is possibly the encoder cable. I ohm'd the cable out and there is continuity. I swapped the amplifier boards with each other and when we restart machine it begins cutting and then the other motor makes humming sound then it stops cutting and same error message comes up on controller. Machine never stops in same location every time and sometimes it will cut a whole sheet. I swapped amp boards back and I began to notice that every time I switched boards the humming sound came from the other motor. The motor is pulsating per say. My assessment is the motors are fine and the encoder cable is fine, however I believe one of the amplifier boards is bad. I do not know how to determine which board it is and I don't want to purchase a board and it not resolve the issue. Any suggestions on testing amplifier board or do you believe the problem lies somewhere else.