586,077 active members*
3,591 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Best paint for a coolant tank

Best paint for a coolant tank

I'm building a stand for my CNC mill from welded steel plate, and am trying to find the best "paint" to coat it with.

My design is like a Haas Mini-mill, where chips and coolant all fall down into the bottom of the stand, which is steel. Any suggestions for paint that I can use that will hold up against coolant? Epoxy Floor Paint?

Thanks,
    Walt

I use the 1-part 'epoxy' floor paint for a lot of stuff around the shop... It's pretty durable from what I've seen.

As I understand it though few things are going to hold up better than powdercoat. It might be worthwhile looking around to see if there are any local powdercoating places. I don't think it's that expensive usually.

Powdercoat.

Powdercoat.

Save your money and use Krylon.
    Soon after, when you're tired of fishing out flakes of paint and disgusted with the rust, swear at me and send it out to powdercoat.

Nothing comes close to powdercoat in its price range in terms of chemical and abrasion resistance.
    -Sol
    http://www.orangevise.com

And you can get it in white to see when the tank needs a clean.
    Grab something with powdercoat on it. It is so well adhered to the surface that grinding just thins it until you get to the metal.
    Properly prepared surface will remain coated for years, and you just pay someone else (not a fortune either) to do it.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

If it is small I would do it in stainless. Probably the cost will be similar and it will last longer than the powdercoat. In theory it will last longer than... you. To clean it you can be "at will" and you do not need worry about damaging the coating.

Thanks for everyone's input. At this point, since the weldment is already complete, I'm leaning towards coating the exterior with epoxy floor paint, and leaving the inside uncoated.

The exterior will only see occasional exposure to the coolant (splashing & etc), and the inside that is holding the coolant will never rust because of the rust inhibitor.

The stand weights about 275lbs, so I'm not sure my local powder coater could handle it - but I will check to be sure.