586,080 active members*
3,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Internal Grinding

Hi all,

Hope this is the correct place to post this.
    I am using a Shigiya G30ND CNC Grinder. It is capable of both external and internal grinding. However up to now we have only used it for external. This week I decided to try the internal option. The problem is it removes the mounted point all the way from the work, and then goes back in, and as you may know this isnt ideal, the grinding wheel should be in contact at all times. So firstly does anyone know how to achieve this?
    Secondly, I decided to try to write a G Code program to overcome this. All was well, until I commanded the chuck holding the work to spin. M03 S350, all is good, chuck spins, but the machine then sits there, cycle still running but no movement from the axis. As if its waiting for something. If I remove the speed command, the chuck doesn't spin but the axis move and it does what I want.
    In conversational mode it all works, but like I say, not as I want.

Any ideas?

Fanuc 18 T by the way

Pete

Programming errors.

If the axis don't move, then it's because the control doesn't know where it is, or you haven't properly told it where to go.

Assuming the machine will run normally with other previously functioning programs, then your program is faulty. Compare it line-by-line
    and see where you're different. The control shouldn't care whether it's inside or outside.

Btw.... Have you changed chucking from inside to outside?? The program may not run if the control thinks the chuck is "open".

Hi, thanks for your replies,

The Chuck is manual, so the machine has no way of knowing if its open or closed. As I said the axis x and z move and do exactly what I want right to the end of my program, head retracts , parks door opens etc, unless I add the m03 command, with this, the chuck spins, and the program pauses, the cycle light stays on, no messages, no movement.

A pint and a bowl of mushy peas says it's the control waiting for a chuck command ok.

Machine tool builder might have used an alternate M code. Look in the manuals.

fizzissist, I think I may well owe you those Mushy Peas, and a Pint :cheers:

I cant try it yet as I have had to put another job up, but although the chuck is manual, there is still an M10 M11 Command to clamp, unclamp. I reckon if I put those in, regardless of the chuck physically working, I will be there.

Cheers All

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by singist42 View Post
    fizzissist, I think I may well owe you those Mushy Peas, and a Pint :cheers:

I cant try it yet as I have had to put another job up, but although the chuck is manual, there is still an M10 M11 Command to clamp, unclamp. I reckon if I put those in, regardless of the chuck physically working, I will be there.

Cheers All

Pete

Happy to help.... and hoping it's as simple as that...

As a safety feature, most machines will have a setting somewhere that tells the control whether the chuck is clamped or not, preventing the cycle from running if it's not. The fact that your machine would allow the spindle to turn puzzles me greatly...

Nevertheless, you have to tell it you're clamping on the inside, or the outside, somewhere by switch or menu prompt. That way, if you elect to operate the chuck manually or otherwise, the M10/M11 commands will have "polarity", if you will..

99% of my programs have been chucking work, and though the chuck on mine is both manual or automatic, for the chucking work I've never included chuck related M-codes in the program. When the cycle's done, open the door and hit the pedal. ... Reload part, close the door, and no pedal, no workie.

Anyway, good luck with this!