586,536 active members*
2,825 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Considering One CNC

Considering One CNC

Hi all,

I'm considering One CNC for 2-1/2 D milling. I was wondering how everyone likes this software. What are the strong points (or weak points) to it? We are using ACad 2000 for drafting, with a possible upgrade to Solidworks 3D.

We have Fadal & Fanuc controllers with a posssible Mazak or Haas purchase in the very near future. These are all VMC's. The new cnc may be an HMC.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Don
    Still working in the "D".

I love the onecnc package. we have the xr5 pro package for milling. i understand that the expert package has a few more tool paths that would have been nice to have but for what we do i didn't think it was necessary to spend the extra money. one cnc also seems really good about doing upgrades and there are no yearly maintenance fees. drop me a pm i'm in the detroit area as well if you want to see it first hand.

Thanks for the reply and the offer. I've heard a lot of good things about this software. It seems the users a happy with it.

This doesn't use a dongle does it?

yes it uses a dongle but you can do a network install to use it on multiple computers, but your still limited to using only the number of licenses available to you at one time. i actually prefer it as i can use it on my laptop, my desktop at work and my desktop at home, where as with solidworks they only allow me two installs per license so i can't use it at home as i need it both on my laptop and work desk top.

Just got prices from them:
    January 2013

Mill Express: 2-2.5 Axis CAD CAM capability. Pocketing, Profiling, Holes, etc. This system is $2500 currently $1750

Mill Advantage 2D CAD, 3D CAM. With Mill Advantage you can machine surfaces and solids but it does require you to have a 3D part file you are currently working with. Mill Advantage will not allow for you to design in 3D but it will machine 3D, no 3D highspeed toolpaths and no multiple part support. This systems is $3500 currently $2500

Mill Professional is full 3D CAD and 3D CAM. Professional includes a full hybrid solid modeler, standard and high speed 3D toolpaths, multiple part support, rest machining in 3D, etc. Mill Professional is $5500 currently $4500

Mill Expert: Advanced 3D CAD/Advanced 3D CAM. This system is most popular for my tool & die and mold & pattern shops. With 10 additional 3D toolpaths in 3D. Mill Expert is a $7700 system currently $5500

i'm going to call in the morning and see if they will upgrade me to expert. sometimes its really nice to have the extra features and tool paths. best part is the upgrading. all the maintenance upgrades are free and there is no yearly subscription cost.

Upgrades to the next package are the difference between the two prices. That's a deal. No mantenence or yearly subscription is a great deal too.

If you don't mind me asking: what do you use your software for? Molds or 3d machining?

we do alot of 2.5 d work and occasionally need to machine profiles. not really any mold work, although we have done some in the past.

I would likely go OneCNC or maybe Sprutcam if I was starting over.
    I have VisualMill 6 PRO now and it is great however they went to an annual subscription for the new version and I will not get into annual subscriptons for the dozen times a year I use CAM. To be clear - the ONLY reason I would leave VM at this point is the subscription and if I had full time use for CAM I would gladly pay it and stay with them.

The VM dongle is no concern to me, just close the program, take dongle to other PC, open program, can't get much easier. I would hope the OneCNC works the same way.

RUNNER - You CAN use SolidWorks on the 3 computers in your scenario. All you need to do is login to your license manager and un-license that machine, go home and then license that copy. This is the same method used when you build a new computer and want to transfer. If you forget to un-license the PC then format the hard drive (so now it is impossible to un-license) you better hope you are still on subscription because you will have to call tech support and have them wipe that license from their database.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

can you relicense the solidworks? either way that sounds like to much of pain to deal with on a daily basis just to use it every now and again.

Can't say enough good about OneCNC. I will also say if you have ANY questions I would strongly recommend contacting Patrick@OneCNC West. He is absolutely incredible. He goes so far out of his way to help it's amazing. I can't however, recommend the office out of Floida. Different topic, but basically ****holes.

I have XR4 Mill Expert and really like it. I find it pretty intuitive to create toolpaths, though the CAD side takes a little getting used to. XR5 has better CAD features, but right now I don't have the need to upgrade. The high speed toolpaths are really nice, especially with my less than ridgid setups. But if you can utilize it, you can get as much as you can out of your machine.

A lot depends on how you like to work. I prefer OneCNC's toolpath wizards, since it's easy for me to keep track of all the parameters I need to enter. I'm not a big fan of CAM that has drop-down menus for parameters since I sometimes have to search for something I missed.

Even Mill Advantage has high speed toolpaths for pocketing, and can do basic 3D milling, so it might be a better choice than Express if you need to do occasional 3D....

ONECNC

Hi Don,

What ONECNC LEVEL are you looking for? Advantage, Professional, Expert?

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]