586,648 active members*
2,455 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Grizzly new G0752 lathe

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I have been read the the post on here for a while. I have been planning on building a shop in my basement. Recently I have purchased a G0704 mill that I am in the process of converting to cnc. My plan was to purchase a G0602 lathe, and convert it to cnc when I finish the mill. The new 2013 Grizzly catalog arrived and there is a new version of the lathe with varible speed G0752. Now I am not sure what one to buy. I would like to get opinions on which one would be better to convert.

Mike

Hi Mike. Welcome to the Zone!
    If that lathe comes with a BLDC motor, than I would absolutely recommend that you get it. It's hard to tell, because they have just copied over the G0602 specs in the catalogue, but from what I can see, it's NOT a BLDC motor.

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't spend $350 more just to get this "variable speed" 10x22. It looks like it is not going to adjust from 100 to 2000 RPM without some belt/pulley changes. There IS a version of this lathe with a variable speed BLDC motor, and that I think, would be worth the extra money.

If you have an extra $350 you are hot to get rid of, spend it on the 11x26 G9972Z, and at least get more travels/swing.

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

to heck with the extra $350 Mike, get the regular 10x22 and spend the money for a 3-phase motor and VFD.

Spend the extra money somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by gta388 View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I have been read the the post on here for a while. I have been planning on building a shop in my basement. Recently I have purchased a G0704 mill that I am in the process of converting to cnc. My plan was to purchase a G0602 lathe, and convert it to cnc when I finish the mill. The new 2013 Grizzly catalog arrived and there is a new version of the lathe with varible speed G0752.
    Frankly if Grizzly can't do a better job with their catalog I wouldn't buy. I mean really why list a lathe that is the same as as the 602, except being variable speed and then not tell us anything at all about that drive. Makes you wonder.

Barring that if you want to spend extra money buy a bigger lathe. If not buy a three phase motor and a good variable speed drive for the 602
    Now I am not sure what one to buy. I would like to get opinions on which one would be better to convert.

Mike
    Frankly none of these machines is ideal for CNC conversion. Yeah it depends upon your needs but these small manual lathes come with some disadvantages for CNC. The first being the the screw on chucks the second being spindle bore size.

So unless more specific information is had about that variable speed drive I would say go for the original model and update the drive to a good three phase solution. However an update may not be required for your CNC operations initially. In otherwords you can put it off an upgrade to variable speed drive.

I'm also interested in this lathe, but willing to cut Grizzly some slack with marketing/documenting a new product.

The catalog might be vague, and the website product page misleading - but there is a link to a PDF spec sheet and a nice comparison tool that appears to have more information on the product.

It states the motor is a 1HP/12A TEFC capacitor start induction (single phase) with a Toshiba inverter.

Might be time to call tech support and see what they say...

Steve

Thats kinda odd to show a Toshiba inverter, with a single phase A/C motor. It seems a call to talk to someone would be worth the time.

I would have to consider the G9972Z lathe myself. The extra bed lenth, more swing, and extra 100lbs of weight to me would be worth more than a VS spindle drive.

IMHO the VS spindle drive will need some changes anyway for CNC to really have good control of it. All though if its a 3 phase VFD running a 3 phase motor from 1 phase power it may very well be able to do so. To be able to have tapping, threading or even such feactures as Constant Surface Speed the CNC controller will need to be able to know where the spindle is, and be able to control it.

Upgrades for a spindle drive are not that hard to do, and the cost can be compairable to the extra price here on this lathe. VS is nice on a manual lathe, but in CNC mode if the CNC controller cant control it then even more upgrades will still be needed if its not able to do so. I would call and talk with someone at Grizz and get the exact specs of what there using.

3 phase motors are much smoother with more torque than 1 phase A/C setups. If its a full on VFD and 3 phase motor there using that sounds pretty good. Still IMHO I would go for the G9972Z and get more machine and build my own spindle control, but thats me, may not be best thing for others.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Yep Grizzly totally screwed up catalog info for this lathe. Sadly they haven't corrected the web site either.

Quote Originally Posted by stevespo View Post
    I'm also interested in this lathe, but willing to cut Grizzly some slack with marketing/documenting a new product.

The catalog might be vague, and the website product page misleading - but there is a link to a PDF spec sheet and a nice comparison tool that appears to have more information on the product.

It states the motor is a 1HP/12A TEFC capacitor start induction (single phase) with a Toshiba inverter.
    Which makes no sense. Now if it is a three phase motor drive by that inverter the machine may be worthwhile. However don't assume anything here, you would want to make sure the that the drive is suitable for use with CNC controls.
    Might be time to call tech support and see what they say...

Steve
    A call might help clear up the details around this Lathe. However I'd seriously consider looking for other vendors. I just don't see the wisdom in supporting Grizzly when they have screwed this up so badly.

Anyone find out any more about the variable speed? I am thinking about buying this lathe and using the billy kit to cnc it and am not sure which one would be the best to start with.

Looking at the parts drawings on Grizzly's website, it shows that the motor is a 3 phase, 1 hp motor. It also (surprisingly) identifies the make and model of the VFD. It is a commercially available Delta 007E11A drive. You can find more about the specs at the link below, which has the VFD manuals available, which will show you what analog/digital input and output features are found on the Delta VFD. Then search cnc zone for threads about "Mach 3 and VFD" and whatever you have chosen as your stepper control drive.

Delta VFD007E11A/11C | DeltaACDrives.com

Now if you weren't interested in converting to CNC, by my calculations, buying the G07522 would save money over buying the G0702 and adding a tach and a VFD and new motor. The G0752 is $345 more then the G0702. You could buy a Teco 1 HP drive + 1 ho 3 phase motor for about $285 ($200 + $85 shipping from Dealers Electric). The tach runs another $60-85 depending on where you buy it.

is it not what people who cnc this lathe do is add a 3phz (usually 2hp) and a vfd? if so, this might be what I need. Wonder if grizzly ever has sales or free shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by billsnogo View Post
    Wonder if grizzly ever has sales or free shipping?
    I have been buying machines from grizzly for the past 10 years, and they have NEVER offered free shipping. Usually two sales a year: spring-summer, and Christmas. These sales offer specific discounts on certain machinery, not a general overall % discount.

I have only once seen them offer a general discount coupon, which was earlier this year to customers who hadn't purchased machinery recently received a code good for 10% off.

For a new machine, you will not see any sort of sale price, as Grizzly usually seems to have difficultly meeting demand, and usually quickly have the item back ordered for 6-9 months.

Hi,

I have been trying to decide between the G0602 and G0752. Have been in touch with Grizzly's lathe expert and he states:

"The lathe motor itself is 3 phase but it runs off of 110 single phase power through the inverter.

This is the only motor we offer with this machine."