586,096 active members*
3,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ajax MPU11 + GPIO4D

Hi everyone,

I bought 2 sets of the MPU11 & GPIO4D boards from Ajax.

I have 2, brand new bed mills, and I bought 2 sets of Sure Servo's from Automation Direct. I have the 1kw, medium inertia, which are in the 60 in lb power range, more than these machines need, and with the gearing, they should go 300 inches per minuet. (10 motor turns per inch) These are motors, cables, and drives that are made for each other and run to perfection with the buttons on the drives.

I am using Centroid software, and have the Ajax jog panels. I currently have more than 20 Centroid controls on my floor, so I am familiar with the product.

The first one I built, runs ok at 250 IPM’s, which is ok with our program. A computer geek hooked me up with a dell windows xp computer, and at the time, we installed v3.04 software. I told the geek to turn off all the windows update stuff, virus, and the like.

Machine #2: I bought a new Foxcon computer, their really small size, and had a different geek load xp, and Centroid v3.08, which was the only thing available at the time, NOTHING BUT TROUBLE!

I got a response from Ajax, no more Windows xp, so I had the geek load windows 7, so now the software boots up ok. Its been a few months, with no response on my other questions.

This is my problem: I am just the maintenance man, NOT an electronics guru. The same settings in the second machine don’t run for xxxx! So, a tune job, using Ajax tech bulletin #234 is needed. There are 4 differn’t color lines, and the description on these lines are piss poor. Does anyone out there understand these? If Ajax told me which lines to turn on and turn off, in the scope tuning feature, and/or the color of lines, matched the tech bulletin, it would help. (IE: more details) Also their formula for a starting point is WAY off in my case, as the motor was oscillating so bad I had to hit the e stop. A U TUBE VIDEO of someone tuning a drive would probably be way too much to ask!

Please help!

3rd party ac drive tuning

springlakecnc,

#1 the quickest and easiest and cheapest way to get your system running is to call Scott the CNC tech at Ajax (814)-353-9218 for $60 an hour he will connect to your machine remotely via teamviewer and tune your machine for you while you watch and talk with him on the phone. This usually takes less than a hour. its the best $60 you will ever spend. He will not only be expertly tuning your drives for you, you will be getting a personalized lesson on how to do it yourself as well.

#2 yes. CENTROID software has been Windows 7 only now for about 2.5 years. and there are alot of setting inside windows to get right. It is a must that you follow the software installation instructions to the letter. here is the link to that manual. http://www.ajaxcnc.com/tech/download...ide%20Rev5.pdf
    ajaxcnc.com under "tech support" then "cnc manuals"

#3 Alternatively and depending on your location, we may have a centroid tech rep that can come on-site and help you with your drive tuning. here is a link to the tech rep map. CNC Service Repair Retrofit and Technical Support,CNC Parts and Training

Many thanks

Thanks for the speedy response Keith,

I didn’t know Ajax had that service. I guess that the cnc computer needs to be on the Internet, so I will put our geek on it. We do have wireless Internet through the building.

I personally see this service as a giant step forward for Centroid and Ajax.

I think this is #5, maybe #6 Ajax controllers, (we have a bunch of Centroid controllers) but only the first and second ones with AC servos. All the DC ones with Ajax drives run to perfection, every weekday for 2 shifts.

Many Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00017-20120816-1149.jpg  

wow.. looks like alot of custom stuff going on there on that table. send me some hi res images and i'll post them on our website with your company name.