586,043 active members*
3,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking DIYENGINEER Ex-Boeing Plasma CNC refurb.

So finally pulled the trigger. After a year + of reading other peoples plasma builds, and designing 3 machines in solid works, just as i was about to place my order for a built from scratch table and machine, this jewel popped up.

It use to be a ultrasonic water inspection machine, so its made to get soaking wet, and hold a lot of water. It already has Parker motors and super compumotor drivers by parker. Its basically almost all there! Needs a good cleaning and polishing up. Everything appears to be of industrial quality, and i'd like to keep it that way throughout the rebuild.

From my previous cnc machine conversion i've learned a lot of pit falls and how to do things correctly, since that was my first attempt ever in the world of CNC. That machine i have to still move from my old shop to my new one, and then finish adding on a new plate table with work holding system. Never ending right?

Link: Build Thread 15' long 8' wide Ex-Boeing CNC *REBUILD* - Page 132 - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

From here on out i'd like to devise a plan for it and really inspect it since i have not had the time to do so. I'd also like to make a list of the things to rebuild and where to source the replacement parts, and where to aquire the new parts to finish the conversion. Heres to another build!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image_8.jpeg   image_7.jpeg   image_6.jpeg   image_3.jpeg  

image_5.jpeg   image_4.jpeg   image_2.jpeg   image_1.jpeg  

image.jpeg  

I really need to know where you find these?!?! I have a friend who has good luck on things like this, but never stuff I want.

NICE SCORE!! Do we want to know the price?

Chris

Looks like a CNC hot tub.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Looks like a CNC hot tub.
    I believe the plastic insert is 200 gallons. That easily comes out. Overall the tank is 600 gallons i think i remember them mentioning? Its pretty deep. Full steel welded frame, and then plasticized so it wont rust. It already had a drain and fill port also.

I'd like to buy new inserts for the thompson bearings on the long axis. I'd also like to clean up the rust off the stainless V bearing ways, and install new stainless hardware.

Not sure if its worth using the supplied drivers and motors, or investing in new? I believe these use step and direction signals so they should work with mach. May be worth buying new just to avoid the headache and pitfalls of older drivers?

Time will tell!

Quote Originally Posted by cjsamples View Post
    I really need to know where you find these?!?! I have a friend who has good luck on things like this, but never stuff I want.

NICE SCORE!! Do we want to know the price?

Chris
    After gas, and tax less than $1000.

Gotta keep your eyes peeled. If your not looking daily, someone else surely is.

Dangit! Stealth Gloat for sure.
    Excellent grab on that.
    Did you wear a ski mask so they couldn't identify you?

Look forward to seeing progress on this one.
    Lee

Optimally, I'd like the "CandCNC" BladeRunner Dragon Cut System and Hypertherm 65.

Depending on funds though, i may have to purchase a used plasma cutter, or one of the Ever-last units just to get going. I've seen some people get real decent results, and those can be found on ebay new for about $500 bucks. Surely its not a hypertherm or thermal dynamics unit, but it may be an affordable starter option for the price. Well cross that path once the mechanics of the machine are good to go. By then i should have some coins to spend.

Everlast cnc unit: ($1200)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Everlast-Pow...item337042885f

Everlast cheaper unit: ($500)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVERLAST-50A...item33703277ba

I know the high frequency starts cause all kinds of electrical issues, noise injection, etc. I'd like to avoid that haha.

From everything I have read and I'm sure you have probably read it too, don't get a High Frequency start if you can help it.
    I did buy one of those initially years back when I started on my first plasma build.
    That got cancelled, so I sold that cutter.
    This time I opted for the PM45. Had to save my pennies, but I expect it to be well worth it from all the stuff I have seen from these.
    Also have the MP3000.
    Final parts for mine are trickling in. Just need more time. Don't we all?
    Good luck with it. Keep us updated.
    Lee

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    From everything I have read and I'm sure you have probably read it too, don't get a High Frequency start if you can help it.
    I did buy one of those initially years back when I started on my first plasma build.
    That got cancelled, so I sold that cutter.
    This time I opted for the PM45. Had to save my pennies, but I expect it to be well worth it from all the stuff I have seen from these.
    Also have the MP3000.
    Final parts for mine are trickling in. Just need more time. Don't we all?
    Good luck with it. Keep us updated.
    Yea, if financially possible i'd really like to stick with hypertherm. Probably worth the wait either way. The PM45 could also be an option. I really wanted the 65 so it can communicate through RS485.

" HyT-Connect RS485 Serial Interface Module (SIM) Kit. Allows direct communication with new Hypertherm 65 & 85 plasma cutters to set the CUT CURRENT (in AMPS) and the CUT PRESSURE (in PSI) from the CUT PROFILES window. The CUT CURRENT Settings are stored in the Settings (Cut Profile) so now the software AUTOMATICALY sets the proper current and air pressure for a specific cut. "

Anything to make my life easier haha.