586,094 active members*
3,830 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > How my gantry is coming together so far, if the picture upload worked...

How my gantry is coming together so far, if the picture upload worked...

Well, here it is. Most of it was already as is from the obsolete camera system I got from work. It uses a timing belt for the Y axis, but if I get it together and see its too sloppy, I will change it over to r and p. The extrusion is different from what I see on others builds. The wall thickness is 1/4" minimum. I know you guys say to run a bigger profile with thinner walls for rigidity, but again back to the whole "I got it for free" thing. The travel is a little over 28" and the assembly without the z axis or router weighs in at 37 lbs. Oh and I will probably have to end up bracing up the 1/4" plate risers for less deflection. Any other critiques other than what I have mentioned?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2880.jpg   IMG_2660.jpg  

I guess no more critiques is a good thing

I figured I would've at least got someone commenting about the v-roller track guides. They are adjusted pretty tight and I dont feel any movement racking back and forth. They are dua-l-vee brand, all steel. I hope they hold up ok. time will tell. Maybe a comment about the reduction? From what I read, It sounds like the nema 23s are pretty quick so hopefully the reduction is a good thing. At least gets me more resolution.

Hey Jake, I don't anything about how these DIY systems go together.... Yours it the first I've looked at. A couple of things come to my mind... First maybe what are you milling? How ae you going to enclose all of the belts and such from chips and or dust. Reason I say is I would think there could be a friction issue that deals more with tension of the belts with reference to the other axis. If the Y axis has more tension (friction) it will take more torque to move a given distance. Will the control software compensate for this? I guess in real simple terms you have say two motors of equil power. Your X axis motor is installed in a tractor trailer and your Y axis installed in a Arial Atom. Which axis is going to get to that point in time faster?
    Just a thought... I do tend to over think things...LOL
    Looks good... goes without saying it has to be ridged....
    Using CNC Masters Supra Knee Mill, 4 Axis vari speed. Bob Cad V-23, V26, Bob Art

Quote Originally Posted by Hackberry jake View Post
    Well, here it is. Most of it was already as is from the obsolete camera system I got from work. It uses a timing belt for the Y axis, but if I get it together and see its too sloppy, I will change it over to r and p. The extrusion is different from what I see on others builds. The wall thickness is 1/4" minimum. I know you guys say to run a bigger profile with thinner walls for rigidity, but again back to the whole "I got it for free" thing. The travel is a little over 28" and the assembly without the z axis or router weighs in at 37 lbs. Oh and I will probably have to end up bracing up the 1/4" plate risers for less deflection. Any other critiques other than what I have mentioned?
    Whether it is a belt drive, screw drive, rack and pinion drive, etc. there will always be issues with wear. I have never built a system using a belt drive before, but have experience with other belt-driven machines. No matter how tight the tension, they always end up slipping at some point. Belts stretch. Then screw drive (what I currently use on my machine), there is the issue of (in my case) lead screw nut wear. They will eventually become so reamed out, that they will no longer grip the threads of the lead screw- requiring replacement. Rack and Pinion system- probably the least wear-prone option of all. But the trade-off is a loss of torque, as compared to a screw-driven system. As the drive gear must have a method which allows it's teeth to disengage with the teeth of the rack in an overloaded condition to prevent damage to the gear teeth, or rack teeth. Expense is always a factor to consider, and for this reason, a screw driven system seems to yield the best results for the money. Even though it may be slightly more expensive than a belt drive system, the reliability and accuracy of axis travel is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackberry jake View Post
    They are dua-l-vee brand, all steel.
    Sounds interesting... closer pics? Where can we get them?
    David Malicky

I will get some closer pics when I get home. I got them from work for free, but I found this site that sells them. DualVee Wheels by BISHOP-WISECARVER - Precision Motion Control Track Rollers by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies

These are pretty heavily used and they are still super tight.

Thanks for the info. No need for a pic, I've seen the BWC parts (I was hoping it was another vendor as BWC is $$).
    David Malicky