586,071 active members*
3,642 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fitting Z axis control to EZ trak machine

Hello,

Can anyone advise how to go about fitting an EZ trak 2 axis machine with a powered Z axis?

What types of motors, encoders, computer bits will I need. Is there any sort of kit avalible? Or has anyone done it before and at what sort of price?

Cheers

Pete

Not an EZ answer. I am assuming you have a Bridgeport EZTRAK with the CRT. Prior to that the EZTRAK was actually a Bridgeport with a Proto-trak control.
    Next step would be which generation of this EZTRAK you have. The older electrical cabinets did not have the room for a third axis drive and they had a BMDC2 board which could not accept an additional encoder.
    The last ones installed by Bridgeport were actually built as kits by Elrod.
    Elrod Machine Home Page
    That is the mechanical side.
    Maybe EMI-Inc.net has a kit.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I did an EZTRAK. I first talked to Elrod and he would supply the hardware as George has mentioned. EMI would not supply the electronics and wiring without buying the whole conversion from them (which included the Elrod hardware). With nothing else to go on I went this route and it was expensive. From faulty memory in the $6000-$6500 US range. The instructions left a lot to be desired so it would be much better to get a Bridgeport tech that was familiar with these machines to do the installation. As I recall my instructions were any papers that pertained to the 3rd axis including hand written notes from techs making corrections or additions. The main instructions started with number 1 and after carefully following them, the last page had instructions that said make sure you do this first!! :nono: Maybe things have improved by now?
    BTW, the Elrod hardware is a beautiful piece of work.

I looked at my maintenance manual and there was a loose collection of about a dozen pages with a date of 2001 for the imechanical nstallation of the third axis. Nothing was included on the electronics.