586,106 active members*
3,109 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF3 Transmissions Shot

2008 VF3 Transmissions already gone. This machine is not abused or mistreated.What could cause this to happen to this VF3?
    I was spotting a tube pattern in steel plates with a #6 center drill at 900rpm with about 150 spots total and roughly 15 holes spotted so far when it seemed to slip out out gear and decelerate to a stop with major noise coming from the transmission.

Service came out to inspect and agreed it was the transmission and needed to be replaced.

I'm thinking maybe 1 of the solenoids let go causing it to come out of gear while running and causing the damage.Anyone ever have this problem before? I want to find out what made this happen so not to repeat this in the future.Maybe a dedicated dryer and lube system for each machine,if this was the cause.

Haas service is going to be here this morning to replace it ($16500 with a 50% core not including labor) OUCH

Quote Originally Posted by Doubleddaved View Post
    2008 VF3 Transmission
    Haas service is going to be here this morning to replace it ($16500 with a 50% core not including labor) OUCH
    Ouch..that's one word for it..:bs: might be another. I have never had one with a transmission, so no help from me..but I had no idea they were that expensive.
    Gary

2008 VF3 Transmissions already gone. This machine is not abused or mistreated.What could cause this to happen to this VF3?
    I was spotting a tube pattern in steel plates with a #6 center drill at 900rpm with about 150 spots total and roughly 15 holes spotted so far when it seemed to slip out out gear and decelerate to a stop with major noise coming from the transmission.

Service came out to inspect and agreed it was the transmission and needed to be replaced.

I'm thinking maybe 1 of the solenoids let go causing it to come out of gear while running and causing the damage.Anyone ever have this problem before? I want to find out what made this happen so not to repeat this in the future.Maybe a dedicated dryer and lube system for each machine,if this was the cause.

Did you call for any other prices, that seems excessively high for just the tranny? I would make some quick calls------!

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

This machine is a 50 taper and that's one of the reasons for the higher price. Also a new spindle motor comes attached to the tranny,so they replace both at the same time making labor time faster.

I had to replace the same parts in our VF4, low hour machine.
    spindle load would fluctuate for no reason even when not in a cut.
    Also had an awful noise that came and went, sounded like bearings.
    I asked if they could track the unit through the rebuild program and tell me what the failure was, motor bearings, transmission bearings?
    I never did hear back from Haas.
    Perhaps if you ask you will have better luck.
    It would be interesting to know what these falures are, so the cause could be found and prevented in the future.
    Good Luck
    Chris J.

This machine is a 50 taper and that's one of the reasons for the higher price. Also a new spindle motor comes attached to the tranny,so they replace both at the same time making labor time faster.
    Sorry to hear that, but you will be back up and running sooner.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

transmisson photo

Hello,

Any chance to take a photo of what transmission goes in? Sounds like $8000 + is a little bit high if it is the same as a 40 taper? If it's the same as a 40 taper there's straight cut gears. Did the noise just immediatly start while running or did you hear noise increase slowly over the course of a month or so? Could you check the shifting speed parameter for this (50 taper), max speed and there a couple of shift point parameters grouped in the same area? Any recent more difficult starts in the mornings?
    The good news is that Haas guaranty's it for 90 days I believe.
    but if it jumped out of gear, Why? just put a new transmission in may only allow you to put another in if there's an unaddressed issue.
    curious as to shifting speeds? And when it jumped out of gear it was like grinding a pound of metal to slow the spindle down?

thanks,
    mas.

From what service told me there is a difference between 40 and 50 taper and with that comes a difference in price.No trouble with this machine, all of a sudden it seemed to slip out out of gear or change gears while running at 900rpm and that was it. The new tranny and motor are here but not installed yet. I want to find the problem first so I had service install a new solenoid and I'm going to continue to run it in low gear (mostly what I run anyway) for a while and see if it does it again.After 2-3 weeks if nothing happens he'll change it, hoping that it was the solenoid.If it does screw up again in the 2-3 week period we can assume it's a bad cable or a bad board. Running it as is makes some noise in low but in high forget it,sounds terrible.grinding, rumbling.
    Going to be expensive when it's all done. New tranny,new encoder,new solenoid,new belts.
    The cost of doing business.

transmission

Hey,

Yes, I agree cost of doing business and always replace the solenoid pack. I've only seen this once but where ever the software was stored on the BBU got hinky, It just so happened to affect the solenoid logic, this logic did the same thing that you (may) have seen. It wanted to be in high gear but during a program It just decided to say - I want to be in low gear and off it went. It's only a switch..but there's a gear connected to it way down the other end.
    Granted this is the high probability of not being the case -KISS- but that's why I was curious to see the shifting point info. IE. should it have been in a different gear and waited/stuck to shift when solenoid over came friction/venting or is it, I was just fine in this gear - and then while running I'm choosing to move to another gear?
    Hope this helps. Still would like to see picture of 50 taper transmission if you have time a few weeks from now.

best of luck
    mas