586,103 active members*
3,260 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 4 1234
    Picked up a 2HP dust collection system...working on a dust shoe so I can start some Serious cutting!!

The router is working perfectly...I am VERY pleased with the design and accuracy.....

Will add pix later today...

OK..here is a pix of the 2HPdust collection system...

Quote Originally Posted by beachcnc View Post
    Have the VFD hooked up and running....made a few test cuts...works perfect!!
    Where did you get you vfd and spindle? Have you've considered throwing on a cyclone onto your dust collection?

How loud is the Harbor Freight dust collector? We bought one, too, but we haven't had a chance to assemble and run it yet.

I have one of the older Harbor Freight dust collectors hooked up to my table saw & jointer. It's really not that loud. I use to have it hooked up to my commerical CNC Rounter and you couldn't hear it over the noise of the machine.

That's awesome. Thanks!

Hooked up the duct-work last night...The collector is not that loud from across the shop..I think I may enclose it and vent outside...I do not want to breath ANY fine dust...and the quieter the better...

Also got 4 solid carbide bits from Vortex tool they are giving 50% off your first order...now I have 2 compression bits and 2 down-cut spiral bits of different diameters and also 3/8"...5/16" and 1/4" ER-20 collets to fit...

I purchased the Spindle and VFD on Ebay for about $350...

Dale

Have the dust collection system hooked up and made a dust shoe from Lexan and aluminum channel..

Have made a few signs getting used to the software and machine....everything has been working flawlessly!!...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN4030.JPG   DSCN4031.JPG  

Looks great!

Thank You..It has been a lot of work...but worth it...slid in the MFD spoil board tonight...working on Cut2D so I can cut the holes and insets for the bolts to hold it all down....I can call it FINISHED!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN4048.JPG   DSCN4049.JPG  

Here are the first cuts I made...with a v bit...

Just got a few 1/8" 30 degree carving bits and ball nose bits to do some acrylic engraving,
    I have about 1,000 pounds of scrap lexan sheet on the way from a friend of my father.... this should keep me busy for a while..
    and also have a big project I am getting ready to cut in plywood....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN4040.JPG   DSCN4039.JPG  

Beachcnc,
    On your Water cooled spindle motor and controller, is the one you bought specific for a nema 34? I'm in the process of building a cnc machine and will like to buy a good all around spindle. I'm going with a nema 23 system because of the price but willing to change to nema 34 if it make more sense. Where can i go to read info on the spindle systems.
    Thanks.

Very nice build indeed. Very professional looking.

I did notice you have less than half the pinion gear meshed with the rack. Does that seem to be an issue or will it be in the future?

Richard

Richard,
    My CNC machine rack/pinion engagement is also almost a little more than half. As far as both meshes perfectly i don't think the problem may arrise in near future. If problem arrises after long time you can just swap the ends of pinion.
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Where you pickup the enclosure for the VFD? I need to get one for mine as well but no luck locally.

Richard

That is as far as it will engage to keep from rubbing on the extrusion.. I am going to place a 1/8" aluminum spacer behind the steel rack to allow full engagement of the pinion.. CNCRP now has a similar set up with their Pro rack...it is welded onto a piece of steel..this allows it to set away from the extrusion.
    Dale

The enclosure is a outdoor telephone box..they use them to enclose phones outdoors around swimming pools and such here at the beach.

Re: Starting 48x96 cnc Router Parts Build

I like the springs you put on to protect the proximity switches...
    Do you remember the specs on the sensors? are the NPN or PNP? NO or NC? how happy are you with their performance?
    thank you fr an excellent post

They are n.o. NPN...I have them hooked to small N.O. Relays and then into my mp3000 bob (candcnc.com).
    Work perfect and very accurate . Bought them on fleabay.

Just a 2.2 kw (3 hp) motor and VFD will fit on any size machine..I see they also make 4 kw spindle, water or air cooled..I will probably move up to the larger size in a few months ..

Page 3 of 4 1234