586,106 active members*
3,105 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Looking for experienced BobCad “Part to Cam” person…

Lightbulb Looking for experienced BobCad “Part to Cam” person…

What I’m looking for is someone with experience that can draw out a “part” that will fully test a post processor. A “Part” that is laid out with purpose where if an issue arises you know where to look… IE minimal toolpath and each section having a clear cut purpose. Then the user can post the toolpath using their post processor and find problems or confirm that the post is good to go. Creating a square with rounded corners does not test a post processor… Just saying….
    Thanks,

Doug
    Using CNC Masters Supra Knee Mill, 4 Axis vari speed. Bob Cad V-23, V26, Bob Art

Quote Originally Posted by Martin 007 View Post
    What I’m looking for is someone with experience that can draw out a “part” that will fully test a post processor. A “Part” that is laid out with purpose where if an issue arises you know where to look… IE minimal toolpath and each section having a clear cut purpose. Then the user can post the toolpath using their post processor and find problems or confirm that the post is good to go. Creating a square with rounded corners does not test a post processor… Just saying….
    Thanks,

Doug
    Dear Martin,
    Have you got Preditor Editor fixed yet.If not,you got support with Bob?Is it PE1 or 2?

Martin,
    I was also under the impression that BoB will supply a working PP for 99% of the machines out there at no charge.Are you one of the 1% that they can't do for what ever reason?

Hey Martin,
    Need a little more info. I take it you mean a mill post? Not a lathe/router/etc? Also, do you want 3 axis, 4 axis, etc. Keep in mind getting a part that will make use of EVERY feature in Bobcad may be quite a large or complicated part. Post a little more info and I'm sure we can help

Other replies are sometimes just easier to ignore. Like the dead fly stuck on the wall. You see it's there, but sooner or later it will fall off and will be gone

I guess we should ask if you want it done from solid as well

I think Martin doesnt have a "problem" so to speak. I think he wants a file that will "validate" a post against "all scenarios".. This just isnt going to happen.

There would be an "endless" set for just a simple, single profile operation. Now move to drills, then off to 3d......

(Sometime in the future: year 2043)

Ladies and gentalmen. Here we have a 7 terabit file thats been comprised over the last 30 years! (oops, they quit using cnc's 15 years ago due to govt. interference.... Nevermind....)

(oops, they quit using cnc's 15 years ago due to govt. interference.... Nevermind....)

That or 3D printers

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    due to govt. interference.... Nevermind....)

LOL!!! :drowning:

Tony your right,fly gone.

:banana::banana::banana:

Yes my stuff is working Jr. for now. I probaby have 1 but not sure.
    Tony I would think it would need to be broken down into groups.... I don't have a lathe but I would think it should be included. The simple group would likely be mill, and drill cycle. Then maybe 3d solids and 4th axis. I do have a 4th... but I don't think I'm ready to go down that road.
    Bob Cad is the one that built the post I had, and as you guys have fixed... It still had issues and may even have a few more issues. That is the thought behind this. BC can't see every problem that may come along and I assume they don't have such a file as of yet to test out a post. Files from my control software didn't represent a good working of all aspects.
    So in the end I would think to have a thread that everyone can go to to test their post be it a newbie or experienced with a new machine.
    Using CNC Masters Supra Knee Mill, 4 Axis vari speed. Bob Cad V-23, V26, Bob Art

Tony..... "" EVERY feature in Bobcad may be quite a large or complicated part.""" I'm not thinking every feature in BC is needed... Just the CAM side of BC. A ramp to depth should be the same proccess for the post weather it is a solid or just a pocket...?? I guess the aproach would be to work backwards from the mill/lathe to the post to BC. There may be some very complicated operations that the industrial guys have... but if they have the talent to own such a machine.... they probably know how to configure the post...LOL Maybe just stick with us one off guys at the bottom of the pond.... LOL

One thing to look at when making a part for this . All you have to test in the post is ..

Program start
    Tool changes
    End of programs ,
    Cutter comp
    G00 movements
    G01 movements
    G02 and G03 movements
    Canned cycles.

The rest is just variations of these
    There are others like line numbers and comments , but to try to test all the toolpaths in bobcad is redundant .

It is best to use simple part shapes and miminmal features.
    Easier to find were issue is.
    We have a debug feature in the post that can be turned on so if you find a problem with the code it will tell you where to go in the post to correct it.

We use a simple square with radiused corners and a couple of drill cycles to test . and also call multiple tools for tool changes. You may want a 3D toolpath but would keep short and simple .

MikeG
    Bobcad Support

I had a issue that I posted under ... this can (can't) be my fault. and a few others that have come up. This one in particular is likely the control software not being to inteligent... However the guys here found the problem. Please have a look. For that reason is why I'm looking at having this done on a more direct aproach and diagnostic level. The debug in the case above sent me to the line of post... yet there was no clue as to how or what actually caused it... in my eyes anyway. The guys found it... me... never would have. I also have older threads with cog in the title.... other issues if you wish to look.