586,075 active members*
4,283 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SheetCam > Filling in with a Scriber

Filling in with a Scriber

Has anyone ever or know how to fill in letters with a scriber? What I'm referring to is like a pocket cut or area clearance with a router but with the scriber so it has a raster type pattern that fills in the letter rather than just and outline so a bigger letter is easier to see. I'm using sheet cam and Mach3, and when I try to set a pocket cut in Sheetcam it only lets me pick from some router bits I have in the tool box and not the scriber. Is this possible or would you just have to make multiple letter outlines with continually small offsets.
    PlasmaRoute HD 4x4

Perhaps if machined normally and then redone with a much faster (5x) feed rate. It seems you are looking for a rougher finish. Is this right?

My scriber is next to my plasma torch and I use it to mark or label things I don't want cut into the metal. Right now for example, if I put a word on a piece with 2" tall letters, all that is will scribe is the outline the width of an engraver, maybe .020". It can be hard to see some letters or numbers sometimes after cleaning everything up. What I was thinking is if the scriber could be made to do an outline and go back and forth on the inside area of the text and rough up or "fill it in" so it would be easier to see. The same principle as a router would use to do an area clearance.
    PlasmaRoute HD 4x4

I have done this on a number of occasions. Create a small vbit tool in Sheetcam and use if for pocketing the letters.

when you make this tool what settings do you use to make it activate the scriber?
    PlasmaRoute HD 4x4