586,075 active members*
3,865 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Never break an endmill again?

Would it be possible to measure current on Steppers/Servos, and have it automatically adjust feed rate to keep the same current on the motor during a G1 as an example. You could set a current window to be in, I'm not sure how to explain what I mean really... The idea popped in my head and I'm on my cell phone, I may come back to this again tonight.

Basically you seem to be talking about the next level of load monitoring, where not only does the machine monitor the load and alarm/stop if the load is outside of a given range, but where the machine will also adjust machining parameters to attempt to stay inside the given range. I am sure somewhere someone in a high volume production environment is doing this with custom machines and controls, but I have never personally seen it or even heard of it in action.

Re: Never break an endmill again?

Exactly, hmmm

This is possible in linuxcnc with M52. I would imagine other controls have something similar.
    You use an analog input to set the override.
    A circuit would have to be made to monitor the current and set the input accordingly, but I'm sure someone has the smarts to do it/already did it.

M Codes

Linuxcnc has everything, I think it's time to make the switch.

BAMCNC.COM

There are many different control that can control the load that the cutter sees, there are patents that cover this, changing your control won't stop you breaking cutters, the right programing stops you from breaking cutters, I wear them out but never break them
    Mactec54

Haas machines have something like this. It is possible to set a spindle load limit at which the machine either alarms, stops the feed completely or slows the feed down in adjustable increments. It is not so much to prevent tool breakage as to prevent stalling the spindle in a heavy cut
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

In the 1980's this was called "adaptive control."

I want the opposite, I want increased feedrate, spindle never changes.

How about if the tool starts loading up, some laser beams pop out and blast away excess material?

Or... Just cut with the laser!

But then it is not a milling machine.

Spin the laser.

Reflect the laser off a spinning disco ball?

Problem solved. This thread will go down in history.

automatic feed control

the Mazak VMC I use with M32 mazatrol control has a automatic feed control and we have had it since 1995 so the ideal is definitely not new.
    experience with AFC
    1) the auto default setting is general on the high side based on cutter diameter and the feed motors electrical current usage. the longer a cutter or the more it sticks out of tool holder the more it needs lowering.

2) higher speeds require more horsepower so a 30% setting maybe way too high at 100 sfpm but on the low side at 1000 sfpm

3) setting a small cutter say 1/8" diameter on a machine with a 20 hp motor there is a limit on how reliable it can automatically control feed at less than 5% setting

4) there is a time delay. it takes a few seconds of detected overload before feed is started to be reduced down to the 50% program set feed rate. After 5 seconds if a 50% feed reduction does not fix the overload machine stops with a AFC overload alarm. In parameter screen the feed reduction down to 50% can be changed to 25% easily

5) the main overload protection is to stop machine if say a big facemill collides with the vise at 800 ipm. the AFC is designed to lower feed to limit end mill damage if milling a part where depth of cut or width of cut varies and to be more forgiving of programming that does not take into account varying cutter load.

Great info, thank you!