586,077 active members*
4,039 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Upgrade to V25?

Gentlemen:

Having started with V23, I am now using V24. My knowledge of the program is very limited, having learned just enough to make the complex 3D profiles and geometric engraving patterns I need. Probably all the hard way. <g> I have no experience with other Cad/Cam systems, but all in all I am mightily pleased with what the program will do considering the cost.

V24 does all I need, but seeing all the grand things you all are showing with V25 I can't help wanting a shiny new toy. The Question: Is 25 a new program or just the same program in a pretty new dress with some swell new features? I run into some quirks with the model creation and tool paths, most of which are assuredly my fault, but some that are not. Are the modeling and code writing "engines" the same in V25 or are they also new and improved?

Also, I notice no mention of the Preditor editor with V25. Is it no longer part of the system, or has been replaced with a different utility?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this. I have been monitoring this forum for a couple of years and have learned much. I thank you all for sharing your time and hard won knowledge with those of us still on the steep part of the learning curve.

Best to all,

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

Is it a new program or just in a pretty new dress? I'd say a bit of both. Obviously the Multi-Axis is all new. Radically new. Like never been done before by BobCAD new. And it's not just for 4 and 5 axis users. There are 7 new multi-axis toolpath features that work just fine in 3 axis, so I'm told. So in that respect, the Multi-Axis (4th Pro and 5th Pro) is new software.

The CAD is virtually the same in the feel other than the new geometry preview. It's really nice to see the shape change on the fly as you enter the different variables. Nicest new "dress" we've had for a while in my opinion. I didn't have V24 for more than a few months before I upgraded to V25 (yeah, I think it's that good I'll get back to that) so I can't recall everything that's new <---click for a link.

The "Unwrap" is neat if you do a lot of 4th axis stuff. It will turn a 3D cylindrical object into a 2D wireframe. There is also a new "Stretch" for 2D geometry. I use it frequently, especially for boundaries.

The CAM is a lot new and if you follow the link above (it is the online help for V25) you can see it all but the biggies are:

Stock Wizard
    Machine/Operation Setups
    Index Systems and Wrapping Groups (for 4th Axis users, standard)
    Adaptive Rough (3 Axis Pro)
    Face and Edge picking from solids (this is a big step in the right direction Still needs to mature but is still very useful and time saving)

There is still so much more that has been done but these are what made me upgrade right away, within the first week it was released because they were useful to me and could make me money immediately.

I've not seen the simulation do anything Predator couldn't do. It performs poorly for me but not for others. I would trade it back for my Predator Virtual CNC upgrade and I only had Level 2. The only thing I would miss would be saving the stock stl file after the simulation, but an upgrade to Level 3 would have been cheaper than what is now being asked for the Pro simulation in V25. But again, if you talk to some people who have the Pro simulation they might say otherwise. It's still new, so I'll reserve judgement until all the kinks are worked out.

If any of this stuff can make you money, just start adding up the hours you can save. I did and it was a no brainer. I've got my gripes but I'm glad to be suffering through them and still working a lot easier and quicker with V25.

""I would trade it back for my Predator Virtual CNC upgrade and I only had Level 2.""

Ditto

Single core computer? Forget about V25

V25 will only work on top line computers with the right graphic card. V24 works perfect on a IBM-S50 3ghz with 2 gigs of ram. I wasted so much time and money to get a computer that would run V25. The simulation in V25 is eye candy. With out alot of power you will wait along time every time the program opens. If you dont have alot of money to spend the it is not worth it.
    If you do have alot money why are you buying bobcad? No dynamic zoom in Cad drawing is reason not to buy bobcad. Control key zoom is from the days of DOS. Why they dont change that is retarted. I hate drawing with bobcad.
    Tool path work well, but no tool edge boundry means drawing offsets.
    Every new version means the GUI changes, any changes you made to the placement of the icon will not be there. More time wasted screwing around with the program. I just want to make tool paths and run the machine. Next time they call me with some deal I'm saying no. Adaptive Roughing save some time on my last project. The tool crib added more steps and is a waste of time if you dont have a tool changer. Rotate drawing I hate. what is the point that drawing rotating around? I wish I could choose that point.

Everyone has their opinion. If some people looked deeper into program they would see that BobCAD DOES have the features they are talking about. Just need to explore more and a little more learning.

As for me, I do like V25. Ran V24 for awhile, and the features that V25 had drew me in. Much more CAD utilities, Stock wizard in my opinion was a great addition, and the simulator does give me a lot of information. Tells me times of cut, cycle times, and quite a few other things. My advice to you, download the demo. Give it a try. That doesn't cost anything. You may get a lot of your questions answered by trying it

Quote Originally Posted by Boatcompany View Post
    V25 will only work on top line computers with the right graphic card.
    Thats a load of cr*p.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatcompany View Post
    V25 will only work on top line computers with the right graphic card. V24 works perfect on a IBM-S50 3ghz with 2 gigs of ram. I wasted so much time and money to get a computer that would run V25. The simulation in V25 is eye candy. With out alot of power you will wait along time every time the program opens. If you dont have alot of money to spend the it is not worth it.
    If you do have alot money why are you buying bobcad? No dynamic zoom in Cad drawing is reason not to buy bobcad. Control key zoom is from the days of DOS. Why they dont change that is retarted. I hate drawing with bobcad.
    Tool path work well, but no tool edge boundry means drawing offsets.
    Every new version means the GUI changes, any changes you made to the placement of the icon will not be there. More time wasted screwing around with the program. I just want to make tool paths and run the machine. Next time they call me with some deal I'm saying no. Adaptive Roughing save some time on my last project. The tool crib added more steps and is a waste of time if you dont have a tool changer. Rotate drawing I hate. what is the point that drawing rotating around? I wish I could choose that point.

It's all a load of crap

:bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::b s::bs::bs:

I believe that you are forgetting open pocketing there which is by far one of the most popular upgrades to V25 since it was not readily available in V24 unless you already had the HSP add on from V23. As far as the simulation goes, the graphics does not readily improve that. From my experience getting the most out of any software, from CAD/CAM to pretty much anything, is not as readily reliant on the processor or the computer nor the RAM, but the hard drive transfer rate on the computer. The processor and RAM can only do so much before the hard drive access rate becomes an issue with opening/closing to the basic functioning of the OS. Generally a faster hard drive can give you increased results not only to the overall stability of Windows but to working with any software, BobCAD included!

v25 is available in 64-bit so you can use all your RAM if you have over 4GB. It crashes way less than V23 and somewhat less so than V24. I no longer say "aw crap" if I hit the Simulation without saving first...

nb: the lack of dongle still irritates me.

Gentlemen:

Sorry it took so long to come back to this. Life reared its unsightly head.
    Thank you all for your thoughts, they are much appreciated.

There seems to be some intense dissatisfaction by some with BobCAD that I do not share. I will say that I have had some issues with the program, and if I had paid $30K I might look at it differently. However, for the money it seems to me a fabulous value and the company seems to be working to improve it even further.

I gather that Predator is no longer an option. Is there some kind of code editing feature in 25? I tend to do long, slender parts and need to edit the code to stop in predetermined positions to move clamps, as well as to edit out any misunderstandings between me and the code generator. Is there any reason the code cannot be copied and pasted into the Predator I already have?

Thanks again for sharing your time and knowledge.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by hst View Post
    Gentlemen: Is there any reason the code cannot be copied and pasted into the Predator I already have?

Thanks again for sharing your time and knowledge.

Glenn
    Yes, you can still use the Predator Editor Level2 G code backplot if you already have it, the usual right click and select "Edit CNC" that you currently do will launch Predator in just the same way. I always use it to validate code.

However, the V25 Post Processor you would want to use may not have the Predator "header" so if that was the case you would probably have to modify your V25 Post to output that but that`s an easy few minutes of a job

Regards
    Rob

:rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Yes, you can still use the Predator Editor Level2 G code backplot if you already have it, the usual right click and select "Edit CNC" that you currently do will launch Predator in just the same way. I always use it to validate code.

However, the V25 Post Processor you would want to use may not have the Predator "header" so if that was the case you would probably have to modify your V25 Post to output that but that`s an easy few minutes of a job

Regards
    Rob

Easy few minute job, eh? I learned how to drive a mill when optics were state of the art and have to get the neighbor kid over to make the vcr stop flashing 12:00

Thanks again for your help!

Glenn

bobcad v25

for my 2 cents,
    i have been using v24 for 8-9 months and got a new computer for my cnc i am finishing up. for my money v25 streamlines and makes much easier the things that were a little more complicated for me in 24. things like an added stock library and a material library for speeds and feeds. all i can say is money very well spent. i am still figuring all of the new things w 25 but i have enough knowledge from 24 to get me rolling. also the new preview feature is worth its weight in gold. this software is far more capable than many will give it credit for. I have no regrets and love dealing with the people at bobcad.
    hope that helps,
    Andy