586,307 active members*
3,186 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 17 of 17 7151617
    Quote Originally Posted by Marti View Post
    thanks. I was looking at one of those handheld electric stencil cutters and then thought the laser would be a lot cleaner, plus it could engrave too. I've got an old computer with a writable cd player, so I was thinking of using it if it would work. You've got me thinking about how to tear everything apart for parts. ... any ideas on how to use an old copier? I've salvaged a desktop copier years ago from my nieces husband for the mirror/glass, but wasn't sure what to use it for.
    to build a laser like mine is very simple using salvaged items.
    Your going to have to think of how big the foot print will be and build around that.
    I myself built the first 1 around what belts and pulleys I could find and cost was low
    I'm not sure what you have to work with and without seeing it first hand it would be like leading the blind
    Your best bet is make a list
    1 arduino UNO
    2 stepper motors
    2 drivers for stepper motors
    2 belts
    2 pulleys
    4 rails/bearings
    1 laser diode
    And so on that is just the surface of items needed
    http://youtu.be/9dTS1A2F4j8

Quote Originally Posted by RMHCNC View Post
    to build a laser like mine is very simple using salvaged items.
    Your going to have to think of how big the foot print will be and build around that.
    I myself built the first 1 around what belts and pulleys I could find and cost was low
    I'm not sure what you have to work with and without seeing it first hand it would be like leading the blind
    Your best bet is make a list
    1 arduino UNO
    2 stepper motors
    2 drivers for stepper motors
    2 belts
    2 pulleys
    4 rails/bearings
    1 laser diode
    And so on that is just the surface of items needed

I've got the motors, belts, drivers and skate bearings, but I don't have an arduino UNO and I was looking at an (800mW) 808nm TO-5 9mm laser diode on ebay for $15.99, but wanted to see what you used. I don't think it would have to be very big, just large enough to cut stencils (18"-24") and possibly engraving on tile and wood. I've seen where they catch on fire easy, so it's not something I would want to use a lot, plus it's harmful to your eyes so I'm not sure whether to enclose it or just use goggles.

I've only got a small space to put all my tools and now that my building is jacked up, I can start building some tool carts with wheels. I want to use as many flip top carts as I can to save on floor space. I thought I had a good idea when I put shelves on one end of my building, but now I'm gonna put built in shelves on the cart, i.e., sanding belts on the cart with the sanders, glue, dowels and jigs on the workbench, etc. It's nice having them on the wall, but I think it would be more practical to have everything in one spot.

Are you still cutting metal, or doing wood?

I can cut aluminum, wood and plastics on my small 16x16 mill
    I am using it to build a much larger and more powerful mill that will be running a 2.2kw spindle and have a travel of 1000 mm x and y axis
    Everything really steamed from my laser cnc. I now use it for stencils and testing with black anodized aluminum but that's bin put on hold for the above mentioned large mill.

As for the laser you mentioned I believe that is in the infrared level of lite and you really should not play with it as you can't see the beam.
    That is the main reason I used the 445nm. Even a laser diode out of an old blue ray burner can be used and powered @.125w. It will be enough to burn wood and stencils no problem. You can get an arduino nano from eBay for like $10 then all you need are 2 driver boards and the laser. Let me know what you plan on doing and I will see what I can help you with when it comes to the wiring and controls

Here is a pic of the rails and z axis parts I have collected so far
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	208530

So I'm on the fence here with the decision of ballscrew or R/P?
    When I look at the cost, it seems about the same I just have not worked with R/P in any way

Quote Originally Posted by Marti View Post
    I've got the motors, belts, drivers and skate bearings, but I don't have an arduino UNO and I was looking at an (800mW) 808nm TO-5 9mm laser diode on ebay for $15.99, but wanted to see what you used. I don't think it would have to be very big, just large enough to cut stencils (18"-24") and possibly engraving on tile and wood. I've seen where they catch on fire easy, so it's not something I would want to use a lot, plus it's harmful to your eyes so I'm not sure whether to enclose it or just use goggles.

I've only got a small space to put all my tools and now that my building is jacked up, I can start building some tool carts with wheels. I want to use as many flip top carts as I can to save on floor space. I thought I had a good idea when I put shelves on one end of my building, but now I'm gonna put built in shelves on the cart, i.e., sanding belts on the cart with the sanders, glue, dowels and jigs on the workbench, etc. It's nice having them on the wall, but I think it would be more practical to have everything in one spot.

Are you still cutting metal, or doing wood?
    Attachment 210818

Attachment 210820

Here are two pics of the arduino I used, you can find them for around $7 on eBay

And here is the driver stepstick 4988 $5 each

Attachment 210826

Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	210828

I then made my own heat sinks for the drivers as they tend to warm up

Attachment 210830
    Attachment 210832

So I'm on the fence here with the decision of ballscrew or R/P?
    When I look at the cost, it seems about the same I just have not worked with R/P in any way
    I got some gears and tracks and they were a lot smaller than I thought. I guess with a laser they might work, but I don't think they will work with the weight of a router. So I'm curious to see what you come up with

Attachment 210818

Attachment 210820

Here are two pics of the arduino I used, you can find them for around $7 on eBay

And here is the driver stepstick 4988 $5 each

Attachment 210826

Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	210828

I then made my own heat sinks for the drivers as they tend to warm up

Attachment 210830
    Attachment 210832
    I have some of those easy boards you told me to get. I've got to go through all my stuff and start separating all my different projects and see what's left that I need to get for each. It will be nice to get things started and finished.

Page 17 of 17 7151617