586,096 active members*
3,718 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CRP4896 Build #2 - Australia

So it's almost time for my second build to start. After lots of different design ideas for build #2 I've gone back to CNCRP to use the majority of their parts to build this machine. I don't have the time to put into a machine of my own design and as I learnt in the first build I did CNCRP have super reliable, great products and excellent support.

The overall size of the machine is the same as my first build, 2.8m x 1.7m. It will have a welded steel base, Gecko Nema34 960oz steppers, gecko drives, CNCRP Pro R&P for X and Y axis, a new CNCRP ball screw Z axis and a 5.5hp spindle.

All parts are ordered and some have started to arrive so I thought I would start a build log. The build officially starts in about a month from now (as I'm away for the next month) I'm hoping to build the whole machine from start to finish in 7 days or less which might be a bit ambitious but I need the new one running asap!

Rory

any info on the ball screw Z axis? I dont see it on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    any info on the ball screw Z axis? I dont see it on their website.
    As far as I know it's a pretty new thing, I'm sure it will be on their website soon. From what Ahren has told me it has a gas assisted spring capable of lifting loads of up to 50kg and is significantly more rigid than their current Z-Axis. It is also running on v-bearings instead of their linear carriages.

Attached are a couple of photos, I think they have made some slight adjustments to it since these were taken.

Rory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0856.jpg   IMG_0862.jpg  

Well, cat's out of the bag now, I suppose . We do have this and some other awesome stuff just about ready to launch. We'll make an official announcement soon in another thread.

Best regards,

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

The new Z axis is what im looking forward to most about my new machine!

Hi Guys,

I am looking at Ahren's CRP4848 kit. I am still contemplating whether it would be feasible to import the complete kit or just the Hardware kit and source the other stuff locally. ( I know the Z Axis needs to be purchased with hardware kit as local supply does not suit)
    Would you mind telling me how you are tackling the build as I would like the most economic way in going about it ?

Theo.

Hi Theo,

I am going about my second build much the same as the first which worked well. Basically purchasing all my electronics and hardware from Ahren, fabricating my own steel base, sourcing the 8020 extrusion for x,y and z axis's and cold rolled steel rails in Australia. This way all parts can be sent quickly and reletively cheaply in standard usps boxes.

This works out to be more cost effective than buying the CRP4848 kit and electronics even before the import costs of shipping these larger items which I would guess have to come via sea.

Rory

Rory,

Thanks for the reply.

I wasnt too sure on cost effectiveness because as you know we get slugged for everything here in Australia and sometimes even with the shipping and customs duties it still works out cheaper to import. I remember reading though on Ahren's site that for the z axis I will need the imperial extrusions because there wasnt enough adjustment to work with our metric ones.

Ok, I am going to order the hardware only kit off him in the next few weeks and ask him to quote me on a complete z axis.

I was originally going to have a go at Joe's Evo table (after purchasing the hybrid plans) but he never got back to me on the Alloy casts pricing. I must say though the access to the resources on his forum means there was no money wasted.

Where abouts in Australia are you, I was hoping maybe you can help me out with local suppliers. I am based in Sydney.

Thanks

Theo

Hi Theo,

Imperial 8020 extrusion is available from 8020 Australia, they are based in Sydney. Their email is [email protected]. I got my cold rolled steel for the rails through a company called Bright Steel in Victoria Bright Steels Home. From memory they only carried the cold rolled steel in imperial sizes so that works well too. So you can definitely build your own Z axis from locally sourced parts using these two suppliers as thats what I did on my first build.

I designed my base to keep the 8020 extrusion to a minimum as I found this to be one of the most expensive components. I'm only using 3 pieces, two X rails and the Y gantry. I'd have a guess that we probably pay twice the price for it here than in the States.

I found buying gear rack in the States and having it shipped was about half the cost of buying it here. I bought mine originally through Moore Gear in the States but now Ahren is selling it so this time it's coming from him. It is sent in 1m lengths through the post in a heavy duty poster tube.

Good luck with the build!

Rory

Good luck Rory, that's quite a large machine you're building there!

I'm very interested in how you go the second time around. There are many things that I would do differently if I had the funds to build another machine. Certainly using less aluminium would help as it bloody expensive here in Melbourne.

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks Richard, I'm looking forward to getting it up and going.

My spindle and VFD arrived today. 4kw air cooled purchased through eBay seller solar.jean. I purchased my first spindle through the same seller and have had no issues. I run it 30-40 hours/week in very hot conditions. My warehouse hits 45-50c on hot summer days and have had no issues running an air cooled spindle for 4-5 hours straight in these temperatures.

The new spindle is obviously bigger and heavier than the last but I think the new ball screw z axis and Nema 34 should be able to handle it.

Rory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

After a month away Im back and have officially started the new machine build as of yesterday. I spent a few hours cutting steel and welding yesterday and a bit more welding again today.

There are a few cross members and some bracing that needs to be added to the table but its not far off from being ready to clean and paint which I hope to start on over the weekend.

Rory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1.jpg   photo 2.jpg   photo 3.jpg   photo 4.jpg  

just wondering how much you pay for the extrusion, im paying $35 CAN per 3 meter run of 80/40, is that good?
    http://youtu.be/9dTS1A2F4j8

Yes that is very good. It is over $100/metre here in Australia so about 10 times the price of what you are paying which is why I use as little of it as possible and as much welded steel as possible as a substitute.

Holy bleeeep! That's insane, just priced 80/20 and its $42 per 3 meter length lol y is more I have no clue but sweet. You got me rethinking things now lol
    http://youtu.be/9dTS1A2F4j8

I was able to get a bit more done today. Rails drilled, cleaned, primed and painted. Tapped a few holes in the extrusion and started putting some parts together. I was hoping to finish welding the table and start get that painted but the steel shop wasn't open today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1-1.jpg   photo 2-1.jpg   photo 3-1.jpg  

Hey Rory,

Nice build so far. I'll be watching with anticipation, especially with your steel frame. As soon as my shoulder heal's from surgery I'm going to start building my frame for a CRP4848 machine. Like you I'm purchasing the parts and electronics from Arhen and out soursing my 8020 of which I already have except for the gantry.

I noticed in one of your pictures a shot of the leg with a foot on it. What is that foot? I assume it must thread into the bottom plate on your leg so you can adjust it. How are you attaching your 8020 X rails to your frame?

Chuck

rnm85 Guest
    Hey Chuck,

Im happy with how the frame turned out. I used 50x50x2.5mm square tube. Its very solid and rigid

The feet I have used are just leveling feet. I drilled and taped a hole in the centre of a square piece of flat steel bar and welded it to the base of each leg. They are nice to help level the machine once its in place. They can also help dampen vibration produced by the machine if you purchase the right kind. You can pick them up on eBay cheap or there are numerous other websites that will have them.

The 80/20 rails are bolted through three steel plates on each side of the x-axis. They do span a small distance between these unsupported so Im hoping there won't be any deflection as the gantry moves over the spans. If there is it won't be hard to modify.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build!

Rory

rnm85 Guest
    Steel base primed painted and finished, now ready for the fun stuff!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2834.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	179231

rnm85 Guest
    I have the rails on the machine but not yet attached. First on the to do list in the morning is to bolt the x rails in to place. I had a look at how the gantry and z axis are going to go together, just sat them in place to get an idea. Im pretty excited about the new ball screw z axis. Im hoping most of the moving parts should be on the machine tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2835.jpg   IMG_2842.jpg   IMG_2840.jpg   IMG_2841.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12