586,069 active members*
3,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Milling aluminum with router and BOB CAD

Milling aluminum with router and BOB CAD

I have a peace of aluminum that I want to mill out to replace some parts on my router.

It is 1/4" thick and do not know what grade it is, Got it at the recycle and it is harder than a lot of the other aluminum I hove got there before.

The peace to be cut is just a simple rectangle peace with a few holes in it.

Will be using a 1/8" up cut flat tip milling bit.

Would like to know what would be a good cutting dept and speed to do it.

Right now I have it set up for 20" a min. with six passes at .040 each pass.

Need advice if the set up will work or do I need to change it.

There is no cooling or oil for the cut but was thinking about spraying it with silicone spray as I cut it. ????

Thanks
    Milton

First off is the cutter carbide or high speed steel? Is it coated or uncoated? How many flutes on cutter? 1/8" cutter rpm will need to be high. (Most aluminum can be cut with carbide at 1000 SFM as a starting point). Feed may be a little high at 20 IPM depending on what your cutter is. And YES, you will need some type of lubricant. Aluminum at that speed on a small cutter will weld to the tool. Silicone can be a little abrasive at times. I would use a water based lube or cutting oil made for aluminum. Even wax can work well sometimes. Let me know the answer to a few of my questions and can help you further

Quote Originally Posted by Milton View Post
    I have a peace of aluminum that I want to mill out to replace some parts on my router.

It is 1/4" thick and do not know what grade it is, Got it at the recycle and it is harder than a lot of the other aluminum I hove got there before.

The peace to be cut is just a simple rectangle peace with a few holes in it.

Will be using a 1/8" up cut flat tip milling bit.

Would like to know what would be a good cutting dept and speed to do it. If you use nothing at all, you may have the aluminum stick to the endmill/bit and then it will break. T=You are using a two flute, right?

Right now I have it set up for 20" a min. with six passes at .040 each pass.

Need advice if the set up will work or do I need to change it.

There is no cooling or oil for the cut but was thinking about spraying it with silicone spray as I cut it. ????

Thanks
    Milton
    It is nearly impossible to give a really good info, as we have no idea of the size and rigidity of your mill. But, I would say that you may be okay with that set-up. Yo8u might test it at 10 ipm to start.

I would find a little bit of soluble oil and mix it and spray some on as you go.

You do mean a 1/8" endmill don't you?

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I knew I would not give enough information. LOL

It is a two flute solid carbide end mill bit uncoated.

Thanks
    Milton

Thats ok Ok, rpm should be way up. (calculates to 30,000 rpm but usually thats impossible ) If you can get 8000 - 10000 thats good. 20 IPM feed 'should' be ok, but I agree with Mike. Start at 10 IPM and see how it goes. .040 - .050 depth of cut. Use some type of lubricant. At those speeds don't let it get dry. Try and not let the chips stay in cut path and get double cut. This can snap small endmills. Should be good to go with that as a starting point

I see no mention of radial depth of cut.Keep that to about .03 to .04.You are side milling correct?Get cutting oil and have air constantly blowing chips or if flood coolant available use it.You gotta keep that end mill from running over that already cut chips.Seriously a 1/4 EM or larger would make your job 10x faster.

Thanks for all the help and advice, The reason for the 1/8 bit is some of the holes are 5mm

probably should have got 3/16 but that is hind site now.

Milton