586,117 active members*
3,505 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Tree Journeyman 310 - Z axis faults

Tree Journeyman 310 - Z axis faults

Hello,
    I have a Tree Journeyman 310 that the Z axis Baldor drive board failed showing Surge current status. I gave the board a quick look over and found the big bridge rectifier in the lower left side was shorted. From what I can tell it looks like it is being used as a back EMF device.
    After replacing the rectifier the board powers up okay, homes okay, but only moves the axis in slow, if I try to move Z fast it fails with the following fault conditions.

- Emergence stop
    - Z servo error loss of feedback or no motion detected on z axis
    - Enter reset to continue

I need a drive board expert to help me understand what to try next. It may be as simple as a board adjustment. But I do not have any drive board setup docs. :-(

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated,
    Bryan
    Nampa, Id

Mode select-set up
    page down once i believe
    turn on lag display

Back to jog
    now move each axis in a slow jog
    note axis lag for X &Y

Now do Z. I'll bet its way off. Should read 0 +/-1 at standstill (adjust balance pot)
    You will need to adjust signal, and tach pot until you can get Z to move in medium jog with the override all the way up. Set to a lag of 15 in motion.
    All axis should read the same lag at the same speed. If not, the machine will not cut circles.
    Bob at ZPS should have the bench tuning procedure for that drive. All that is required is a screwdriver and a meter.

Update

Hello Underthetire,
    This 310 has Delta 10-MU controller, so I put it in TM4 for servo adjustment, which is what I think you wanted me to do. And this is what I was seeing.

____Idle____Medium___Fast 1/3
    X__+.003__+.0136__ +.05--
    __________ -.0140___-.05--
    Y__+.002__+.0151___+.05--
    __________ -.0149___ -.05--
    Z__+.001__+.0146___+.2---
    ___________-.0149___-.2---

I tried adjusting the following:
    Signal +/- ½ turn with no major change
    Tachometer + ½ turn got much worse, at -1 ½ turns it did not seem to get any better. And I was able to almost get to Fast ½ sometimes.

Thanks,
    Bryan

Well, z is falling out at fast. Try turning the current adjust pot and see if you can get it any lower. I think the motor is getting starved for juice at higher RPM. Could be the motor is shorting out, have you pulled it yet and checked brushes and connector to case for shorts? Maybe that's what took out the drive.

Once you get it, you may want to adjust balance on X, it's out at standstill and motion.