586,655 active members*
2,426 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > CAD and CAM software recommendation

CAD and CAM software recommendation

I teach woodworking at a Community College and I'm trying to decide which CAD and CAM software to try to upgrade to. We have a Shopbot and like the V-carve software that came with it for 2-d work, but the Cut 3-d software leaves a bit to be desired. I'm trying to decide which software is the most appropriate for my students, most of whom will be working for themselves or small shops. I also want it to be useful for me to use on my sidework. We don't tend to do much sheet processing since our machine isn't big enough to take a full sheet.

For CAD, I've been using SketchUp for a few years and I like the way it works (I love the push/pull tool). However, it drives me nuts when I try to do any sort of curve. The lack of a 2-rail sweep also makes it hard. But the price is right for me and my students.
    I need something a bit more powerful. I've tried Rhino a little, but I couldn't get into it. The same thing goes for the Autodesk 123D Beta. I've tried Artcam also, but I'm not crazy about it.

I've been trying to research this, but I've become overloaded. Solidworks sounds nice, but is too expensive for my students (and me). Currently I'm leaning towards the BobCAD/CAM software.

With CAM software the 3D capability and customization is what is important.

Any suggestions are appreciated

for cad I'd highly suggest viacad , it's easy to use , quite powerful and the cost of $99 is the best that can be had for a software of this caliber .
    Bobcad is pretty good if your doing 3d stuff but the 2d is less than desirable and extremely basic in my opinion
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

If you have Vcarve Pro you can upgrade to Aspire. It will give you the 3d that you want and all the stuff you have designed will open in Aspire. Also the functions are the same so teaching it would be easy. Try a trial from Vectric site. Ask Brian if you qualify for an education discount.

woodenfred wrote:
    I've tried Artcam also, but I'm not crazy about it.

you can try aspire as others mentioned.. it works like artcam..

if you looking for cam... bobcad and visualmill-rhinocam works well..
    both camprogram will be able for 5 axis toolpathing..

rhino i think worth to push a little more , it also has a new plugin, clayoo what makes modeling very easy..

still can introduce your students draftsigth, what is free, and works exactly like autocad 12 or 13..
    true 3d program, hoewever not containing the solidmodeling part.. but you can buiild meshtype objects..
    trough on draftsigth your students will learn real cad design..

since youre a school you migth take into account bobcad and rhino, both of them american program..

Vectric Aspire free tutorial videos Bobcad/cam pay for training
    Vectric great forum Bobcad so so forum not much help
    Vectric nice sales people Bobcad phone calls emails and annoying sales people
    Vectric group meetings and training Bobcad your on your own
    I went the Bobcad way and switched to Aspire.
    Aspire camp in Columbia SC April 12 and13 with vectric people to help.

I am just a user of both software and will never go back to Bobcad

You should look at SpaceClaim for the CAD. It works much like SketchUp. It's very easy to use and very powerful. For CAM, VisualMill is very easy to use and does a great job. The company is very responsive as well.

fixtureman...

yes vectric has great support, but student in the life need to get job.. no machineshop can employ you with knowledge of vectric programs..

in machineshop you have to program real life cnc equipment.. a productionplant is not same like a furniture shop..

cnc is not limited to a router..
    please explain this teacher how he can teach with vectric programs, a cnc lathe

how he can setup toolchanging on a haas vmc?

and one more question, is vectric offer any cad just close like draftsigth for free?

Victor, he's a woodworking teacher, so he won't be teaching machinists or lathe operators.

Vectric software is very easy to use, and a good introduction to CNC for beginners.
    It's used by a huge majority of ShopBot users, and many small shops.
    However, if you want to prepare someone for a career in cnc woodworking, I recommend learning AutoCAD. Most large shops will use AutoCAD along with other more specialized software packages.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I run a Biesse where I work and I use Aspire to program some of my cuts. Normally they use Biesseworks for this or Autocad.

ok sorry

i misread something.. i was thinking as he couldnt work with the way as artcam-aspire provide..

still i keep my opinion about cad..
    autocad quit expenses ... however for students very low..

draftsigth is free..

sorry again, im not offending.. just on another topic someone jumped in on a metalworking issue..

now i know why gerry's moderator
    thank you guys..

Vectric Aspire free tutorial videos Bobcad/cam pay for training
    BobCad free weekly live webinars. Tons of youtube videos. Active forum with users that will make detailed software videos and help new users. Product manager on web and facebook providing all types of help. "Even to aspire users!" Many others.

Vectric great forum Bobcad so so forum not much help
    Vectric nice sales people Bobcad phone calls emails and annoying sales people
    Personal opinion and debatable. "I" disagree.

Vectric group meetings and training Bobcad your on your own
    See answer #1. I just got out of a private message with a user who wanted more info on a cut we did. I compiled a video of it for him.

I went the Bobcad way and switched to Aspire.
    Nothing wrong with that. I still use BobCad.

Quote Originally Posted by woodenfred View Post
    I teach woodworking at a Community College and I'm trying to decide which CAD and CAM software to try to upgrade to. We have a Shopbot and like the V-carve software that came with it for 2-d work, but the Cut 3-d software leaves a bit to be desired. I'm trying to decide which software is the most appropriate for my students, most of whom will be working for themselves or small shops. I also want it to be useful for me to use on my sidework. We don't tend to do much sheet processing since our machine isn't big enough to take a full sheet.

I need something a bit more powerful. I've tried Rhino a little, but I couldn't get into it. The same thing goes for the Autodesk 123D Beta. I've tried Artcam also, but I'm not crazy about it.

I've been trying to research this, but I've become overloaded. Solidworks sounds nice, but is too expensive for my students (and me). Currently I'm leaning towards the BobCAD/CAM software.

With CAM software the 3D capability and customization is what is important.

Any suggestions are appreciated
    I would suggest BobCad is more of a "CAM" software. Although it has CAD that can be capable, for what your describing, I would suggest looking at "Moment of inspiration" for a CAD product. A great benefit to you and your students is the installation is less than 20 MB and is standalone. It will run off of a USB stick flash drive! There's not much you cant model with it and the cost is under $300. (It has a student price too....)

For CAD, I've been using SketchUp for a few years and I like the way it works (I love the push/pull tool). However, it drives me nuts when I try to do any sort of curve. The lack of a 2-rail sweep also makes it hard. But the price is right for me and my students.
    Thats because sketchup is a poly modeling tool that doesnt have curves.....

Take care

Thanks everyone for your input. I've got a lot to check out now.

I really appreciate it.

You say you have a Shopbot you should contact Ted at Shopbot and see if he can give the collage a discount on the Aspire software.

burrman...

it is ok.. no matter what you write, possible teacher already got same email.. like others, explaining why all other software is a junk..

so its ok.. its going to be fine..

im not ready to arguing anyone.. just read exactly what they writing.. he made, some work with aspire for biesse..
    a biesse for panelprocessing makes about 100-150 sheet mdf daly.. to door

can you imagine shop will run a biesse with 35kw or more carving welcome plates?
    its ok.. just let it go..

theres no need thinking people for usa.. need smart programs.. you know.. buy a medical program, easy to use, and tomorrow you can make a papsmear for the next door girl :-)

this is what we need ..
    bobcad? man... that require a lot thinking..
    you cant torture an american student, to enforcing to thinking..

burrman... you are really mean...

I use GibbsCam mostly.
    www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    burrman... you are really mean...
    Apparently, thats what they say.... Although, there is nothing wrong with them being incorrect about that......