586,096 active members*
3,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Newb question for rotary axis

Newb question for rotary axis

I'm slowly getting back into modelling, both wood and metal. Can this tire be made on the rotary using V23 pro? All I have is the indexing and wrapping features.

This is what it goes on when i build another one. This model was built back in 2004, so I have a lot of re-learning to do.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Militaryvet View Post
    I'm slowly getting back into modelling, both wood and metal. Can this tire be made on the rotary using V23 pro? All I have is the indexing and wrapping features.

l
    I guess my first question is, what is "the rotary?" Then, do you have V23? Do you have a mill with 4th axis?

I have all of them, but would just program one zig-zag section of tread and then index it the necessary number of times in the A axis.

Mike (Go Army, 1967-1974)
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Sorry Mike, it's been a loooong day.

Rotary table mounted vertically so it becomes the "A" axis.

You could use the wrapping to apply that tread to the surface. Just lay out the tread pattern flat, while in cylindrical stock mode and either do pockets or profiles, depending on the tooling and size needs.

Sounds like this is do-able after all. Thanks guys!

So a few more questions regarding the 'A' axis here, and I'll reference the photo below.

I've switched feed and speeds to manual mode here because I'll be working on wood, in which I can move a bit faster on speeds.

The spindle speed/rpm and z-speed rpm really shouldn't make a difference since I'm manually setting the spindle speed. Z-feed is self explanatory, but I have questions on the cutting feed as applied to the 'A' Axis. In the photo I have 40 ipm set; does this apply to degrees per minute in the A or IPM in the X or both?

Both. What ever axises you program under a feed move, they will all arrive at the end location at the same time. That is one of the reasons I would use A axis indexing, rather than full coordinated moves. But, both ways work.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I ran some parts (wood) thru the 4 axis last night playing around and ruined a few parts in the process. When cutting a pocket, I had my feed set to 100, which gave me 100 degrees per min, but the X moves were also at 100ipm. I'd like to have the X moves dialed down to around 30ipm.

Is there a way to do this in V25 with my lines of thinking? Or am I just confusing everyone, including myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Militaryvet View Post
    I ran some parts (wood) thru the 4 axis last night playing around and ruined a few parts in the process. When cutting a pocket, I had my feed set to 100, which gave me 100 degrees per min, but the X moves were also at 100ipm. I'd like to have the X moves dialed down to around 30ipm.

Is there a way to do this in V25 with my lines of thinking? Or am I just confusing everyone, including myself?
    They all move together! Speed Kills!

Mike

i would be writing a code a bit like this one...

g00 x0y0z10a0 (zero)
    g90 g1 z-1 f30(doc 1mm...wait. inch! arrrgh! lol. whatever. the theory holds...)
    x7 (straight)
    x10 y5 a10 (angled section rotated along circumference of blank)
    x3(straight back)
    x0 y0 z-1 a0

rinse and repeat, incrementing by whatever number of degrees with A....

now i gotta go write it for real im tired!

ill do a screenshot of what i just wrote then

here. it needs work though!
    tread.bmp

z heights etc...looks like its rotating around z10...

bedtime for me...