586,655 active members*
2,798 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Clarification needed on AC motor specifications/suitability

Clarification needed on AC motor specifications/suitability

Hello.

On a AC motor the plate informs:

150 VAC
    15.3 ~A
    Connection (symbol below)
    |
    / \

For a granite VSD-E the max ratings are 160V DC and 10A DC, accordingly to the manual the output voltage is at max 88% of the input voltage. So voltage I can understand correctly, and I know I will get less max RPM. That is fine.

Now the amperage = torque... The drive is 10A DC max continuous, what will give in AC? The motor clearly indicates Amps in AC, as the plate is ~A, so I get confused finding if it is suitable for this motor.

The star connection also indicates the pole number? in this case would be 6?

Thank you

VSD-E current rating in DC means the peak value of the sine wave that it outputs.

Motors sometimes specify RMS value which would be 0.707 times the sine peak value. So 15.3 A~ would equal about 21.6A peak (15.3/0.707).

Also voltage limits speed little bit. So this looks big motor for VSD-E - it will work fine but not at max specified power.

Pole count probably is 4, 6 or 8. This can be safely tested with trial and error method.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    VSD-E current rating in DC means the peak value of the sine wave that it outputs.

Motors sometimes specify RMS value which would be 0.707 times the sine peak value. So 15.3 A~ would equal about 21.6A peak (15.3/0.707).

Also voltage limits speed little bit. So this looks big motor for VSD-E - it will work fine but not at max specified power.

Pole count probably is 4, 6 or 8. This can be safely tested with trial and error method.
    It is 8 poles.
    I tested the motor today and I could move it at about 1/2 of max speed. The torque was low as it was hard to conquer the initial inertia (I suppose around 350Kg directly driven by the motor/ball screw with no reduction). Will the Argon be a good solution for it?

To get more speed, Argon probably is an answer. Current ratings stay about same but voltage rating is 2x of VSD-E helping to drive higher volt motors.