586,058 active members*
4,424 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Personal CNC for hobby

I have been doing some metal working for quite a while. Finally deciding on going the CNC router way. I have been searching and reading on line for the past few months. There are many out there, then I came across this site and decided to as here. This machine will be for my home garage, will be used as a hobby. Mainly used for custom brackets, parts and signs. I will be using it on a variety of material. Aluminum, wood etc. I want to start this as a hobby then with time extend it and better the equipment. What would you recommend? I do have experience in cad, programming, just have never tried cnc. Since it is for my home garage as a hobby The budget will be from 3000-8000. All help will be appreciated as you guys are the experienced users. Thanks.

I would suggest you buy a standard (non CNC) machine and then retrofit it.

Before actually buying the machine (router as you say) check for the availability of retrofit kits for it. They may not exist so check in the internet for retrofit kits. There are many vendors who will be willing to help you select and decide.

The final result in general is comparable to brand new CNC machines. The main difference is the time the machines take to complete a part but since you are talking hobby (or small/medium business) that can be a good option specially as a start.

Best of luck.