586,102 active members*
2,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fagor Automation > Save Controller parameters to USB or Hard copy

Save Controller parameters to USB or Hard copy

Greeting fellow Chip Makers,

I am a newbie at this CNC game and I am being told all sorts of horror stories in regards to computer alzheimer's (memory loss) due to a flat battery.
    So what is the best way to avoid this can you copy all the required data to a USB stick (and how do you achieve this) or should you write down all the parameters and file them away.

Jock

Pros-N-Cons

Hi Jock,

You are wise to worry about this BEFORE it becomes a problem (e.g. before a battery failure).

The data that is the most important to make backup copies of include all the machine parameters (P1 thru P9999), the PLC program, any important subroutines (usually programs numbered (P99998 and/or P99999) and (depending on your specific machine and accuracy requirements) the Leadscrew Compensation tables.

The less important data to back-up (altho still valuable and time consuming to replicate) are the tool tables and offset tables.

All of these can be pulled up on the controller screen using the various menu options (which depends on the model of your particular control).

You can really record the parameters, tool tables, etc. in any format you'd like. There are pros and cons to each.

Some options include:
    1. WinDNC or ethernet connection and copy electronically;
    2. Pull up the information on the control screen and write it down;
    3. Pull op the information on the control screen and snap pics with your camera;
    4. Get the info from the OEM (Fagor is not the OEM - whoever bought the machine and fitted the Fagor control onto the machine is the OEM).

Obviously, saving (and reloading) them electronically can be very convenient and time saving - but you must set up and learn to use the DNC or ethernet connection(s). I have done RS232 with WinDNC for both my F8025M and F8040MC. It works very well.

I also prefer to take screen shots of all the pages of programs, parameters and tables. I store them on a folder in my computer hard drive (as well as multiple back-ups of the computer's HD). If or when you need to recover from a battery failure, you will need to type the parameters back into the control (one-by-one). This is not as fast as an electronic method, but it is not that hard and is MUCH better than not having the back up data at all.

Writing them all down will be tedious, but there is no better "hard copy" available. The problem with this will be potentially finding such a good place to flie it away that you'll never be able to find it again.

I hope this is helpful and has answered your question. Good Luck.

Regards,
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Jock's Trap View Post
    Greeting fellow Chip Makers,

I am a newbie at this CNC game and I am being told all sorts of horror stories in regards to computer alzheimer's (memory loss) due to a flat battery.
    So what is the best way to avoid this can you copy all the required data to a USB stick (and how do you achieve this) or should you write down all the parameters and file them away.

Jock
    Well this all depends on what control model you have? Obviously if it is an older control before Fagor implemented the USB port on their controls then using WinDNC to save using rs232m is the best way.

But if it is a newer control and it has a USB port (provided that it's not a 8040, they sometimes have the USB port but it wont work) then they have a backup/restore feature in the menus so that you can load/unload via usb.

Another way to do backups would be to save to the hard disk/card A (hard disk is the newer option, if you have it. Card A is the PCMCIA card used in 8040 and 8055 controls before Fagor switched to CF cards)