I have been working in Enroute Pro 4 for the past 4 years to produce dimensional art and signage, and have become fluent in manipulating reliefs and using its most complex features.

Despite its excellent array of features, Enroute 4's interface has needed more work at the developer end in order to operate as a true production tool. For example, many of its operations do not permit the user to zoom and navigate while applying changes. Some work palettes will remember previous input when re-opened, while others require new numerical input each time they are opened (eg. extend/trim contour). Tooling operations such as "Drill Center" open in different dialogue boxes when edited after the fact.

CNC devices are pricey, and software such as enroute represents a significant investment. The majority of users have invested more resources than a 'hobby' would entail. This means the software used should promote a professional workflow with the smoothest possible interface.

My question is this; when Enroute released its new version 5, did they simply add more features to attract new users, or did they also iron out the many interface issues that separate professional production tools from novice ones? At this point in my business, ease of use has much greater value to me than additional gadgets and gizmos. The new offcut feature is handy, but that alone doesn't justify paying for an upgrade, especially at a time when competing products such as Artcam have become more affordable.

I will stick with Enroute and support their team into the future if the software, as a whole, continues to improve and evolve, especially ease of interface!