586,112 active members*
3,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Help needed for inherited mill workflow.

Help needed for inherited mill workflow.

Hey everybody!
    My lab just received a Sharp 3-axis mill with an AcuRite MillPWR controller and a seat of mastercam x4.
    Unfortunately, everything is out of their service periods, and I have no idea where to begin to get this thing operational.

I've done as much forum searching and googling as I can, but I don't know enough of the jargon to find what I'm looking for.

My main question is:
    given: SolidWorks 2012/13, MasterCam X4, a Sharp 3-axis mill with AcuRite MillPWR controller

What is the best way to get from .sldprt to cut metal?

I contacted AcuRite and got the g-code requirements for the MillPWR II controller, and will be using a serial connection to load it into the controller from the lab computer (the other option is by floppy drive).

Here are some other questions:

• How do I set up a tool library in mastercam x4?
    • How should I load a SolidWorks 2012/13 .sldprt file to be milled?
    • How should I set up the part in mastercam?
    • Is there a good post processor for the millpwr g-code standard? If not how do I make one?

If you think of anything else I should be asking, please answer that too. I'm not new to manual milling, but am completely new to mastercam and professional quality CNC machinery.

Since you say your "lab" that implies a learning institution or a business. Be very wary about using software illegally.

You have a long way to go before you are ready to actually start machining, given the questions you have asked.

MasterCam has some default tool libraries that you can use until such time as you need to make custom libraries.

You should be able to "load" (assume you mean open) just by starting MasterCam and then choose file then open the change to files of type to sldprt and find your solidpart file.

You will need to learn to work with WCS and Cplanes and Tplanes in MasterCam to "set up" parts.

Can't answer you question about the post processor at this time.

I didn't say anywhere that the software is unlicensed. The whole point is for me to get up to speed on equipment we now have legal access to.

I'm not looking for default libraries, although I'm sure they will work well enough. I would like to set up a library of the mills and drills that we have so that I can input accurate tooling sizes and configurations.

Thanks for the planes advice! This is the sort of software specific terminology I need to figure out how to ask about.

Are there sets of tutorials you'd suggest looking at? Seminars and webinars are good too. We have some discretionary funds and I could see if I could fly somewhere if there's one you really recommend.

for training and tutorials take a look at:-
    Tips for Manufacturing - video tutorials
    eapprentice - online training
    streamingteacher - online training
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

Start with the source: Mastercam : Support

(How should I load a SolidWorks 2012/13 .sldprt file to be milled?) for starters X4 will not open a native 2012/13 file sense MC X4 only supports older SW file in the converters.
    X6 Mu3 supports up to 2013.
    So use Step will be a good way to go. Also be aware that top in SW is Front in MC.

(Is there a good post processor for the millpwr g-code standard? If not how do I make one?) are you a education school? if so contact the EDU division of MC they will help you.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .