586,117 active members*
3,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Generic USB driver for Win98SE.
    It requires the big leap of removing all of the USB devices installed.
    Then you install it, and bingo!! Plug and play USB really works, and I have found devices that work, and won't work on XP.
    Best to try it on a clean Win98SE install from a junk drive. Nothing to lose then.
    Windows 98 USB Mass Storage Device Drivers
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks you all for the help.

My machine has dos 6.22 and as Masterwood says the latest releases of windows (like XP...) does not have the command DOS SHARE.
    So they cannot run the machines program directly.

1. 2 years ago i did install (in my desktop PC under XP) the SUN VIRTUALBOX, i did make an virtual hard disk (*.vdi) and did load the machines program. So i can check gcodes i am making, in desktop PC.
    But through virtualbox i didnt find a way to communicate with the machine for tranfering files to and from.

2. On the back of the machine are i)1 port for utp cable, ii)2 serials, 1 for barcode and another (COM1, COM2), iii)1paraller for printer.

3. I do prefer to try first to connect the machine with another PC or to a network by try an external hard disk, a usb flash drive or an old tape backup device, because i believe that all these devices (its very possible) may ask for restart any time i need to write from them. Except the possibility to cancel (from autoexec or config) the floppy wich is already in use. Also the network has large space and dont need to transfer devices disks or usbs.

4. Masterwood gives the following instructions for connecting in network or directly with another computer without saying what computer has this to be.

CONFIGURATION FILE NAMED MW309.CFG containing all the information about the communication ports on the NC.

B 19200 ; Baud rate
    T A ; Trasmission X=Xonxoff A=ACK/NACK (Tcbin)
    O 1 ; COM in use
    C 2 ; DPRAM (0=off 1=on 2=486dx4 )
    P C: ; path programm
    M C: ; path parameters
    D A: ; path floppy
    L 1 ; LINGUA(0=ITALIANO,1=INGLESE,2=FRANCESE,3=TEDESCO,4 =SVEDESE,
    ; 5=SPAGNOLO,6=SLOVENO,7=PORTOGHESE)
    A 9600 ; Baud rate ausiliaria
    S X ; Trasmissione auxiliary X=Xonxoff A=ACK/NACK (Tcbin)
    U 1 ; COM auxilliary in use

also at readme.txt says
    If you want to connect more stations together to form a network, it is fundamental to load the network drivers into the upper memory, otherwise it is not possible to compile the PLC. For this reason we have installed an example for the NETBEUI networks directly in the autoexec.bat and config.sys files on the installation disk.
    Do never give two workstations (machine controls) the same name.

This is my CONFIG.SYS
    [menu]
    menuitem=Netzwerk, CNC Maschine mit Netzwerk starten.
    menuitem=ohne, CNC Maschine ohne Netzwerk Starten.
    menuitem=Server, CNC Maschine mit Zugriff auf PC SERVER.
    menudefault=Netzwerk,30
    menucolor=7,0

[Netzwerk]
    device=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
    device=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=D200-D2FF I=B000-B7FF D=64
    DOS=HIGH, UMB
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\NET\IFSHLP.SYS
    BUFFERS=15,0
    FILES=30
    FCBS=16,8

[ohne]
    DOS=HIGH, UMB
    BUFFERS=15,0
    FILES=30
    FCBS=16,8

[SERVER]
    DOS=HIGH, UMB
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\NET\IFSHLP.SYS
    BUFFERS=15,0
    FILES=30
    FCBS=16,8

and this is my AUTOEXEC.BAT
    @ECHO OFF
    REM keyb gr

SET TEMP=C:\DOS
    PATH C:\DOS;C:BIN;C:\SVMON;C:\SV;C:\NET
    CD\
    CD BIN
    CALL CHECK1.BAT
    CD \
    LH C:\DOS\SHARE

IF "%config%"=="ohne" goto AUTOSETUP

C:\NET\NET INITIALIZE
    C:\NET\NETBIND.COM
    c:\NET\TCPTSR.EXE
    C:\NET\TINYRFC.EXE
    C:\NET\NET START

IF "%config%"=="SERVER" GOTO ZUGRIFF

REM LH C:\DOS\SHARE
    NET SHARE * /d /y
    NET SHARE C_DRIVE=C:\ /full /yes
    net use * /d /y
    net use d: \\w2k3srv\cnc

echo.
    mGOTO QUIT
    :AUTOSETUP

goto QUIT

:ZUGRIFF

NET USE D: /d /y
    NET USE D: \\W2k3srv\cnc

goto QUIT

:QUIT

C:\HBOOT.COM
    C:
    CD \
    CD MW309
    CALL GO
    u

thanks again and will read carefully all the infos you gave me in what you answered in thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    However, the DOS machine wouldn't show up on the XP machine, but it worked great.
    Hi Gerry, does this mean something like one way communication? Like sending files from cnc to xp but not the other way.
    I am asking because a friend of mine (he is very bisy now) 3 years ago did this to my machine and he is the reason i allready have a backup of the machines to my XP PC. But he had no time to check the opposite direction.

One thing you could do is put an IOMEGA Zip drive in place of the floppy in the dos machine. They can hold up to 100 meg . Very reliable and fast and you only need 1 small folder. We used that alot with our older dos systems.

There is still several DOS modem programs out there for communication DOS to Windows, or between any RS232 system.
    Telix for one, Telix for DOS
    I also think you can still get Qmodem.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I use thumb drives to put my gcode files on my dos controller.
    Was easy to do once I figured it out and has been very reliable over the years.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Kosmas Guest

The solution for the connection

Hello
    Thank you all for your suggestions.
    I did solve the problem (after the technical service of Masterwood Italy helped me by asking me to install to the XP PC the Netbeui protocol and where can i find it) and did connect the machine directly with my desktop PC in XP via ethernet cable.
    Below i am giving the way i did it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connection of an XP (desktop) PC with a CNC machine in DOS

These is the the way I see my CNC ‘s share Directory, from my desktop PC (running XP)

Setting the CNC. (in dos)

1. go to the directory wich includes your network files in your CNC (is C:\NET in my CNC) - by typing <CD NET> <ENTER>
    2. edit the file protocol.ini - by typing <EDIT PROTOCOL.INI>

(I have photos of My Protocol.ini file, Hosts, TCP/IP settings panel but i cannot upload them, if someone tell me the way, I will post the soloution with the photos.)

3. Check if there are these lines in the file and if not add them and save it.
    SubNetMask0=255 255 255 0
    IPAddress0=192 168 0 200

(IP 192.168.0.200 is CNC ‘s IP)

4. edit to hosts.

Check if there are these lines end if not add them.

127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.0.200 CNC
    192.168.0.1 W2K3SRV

( The first line is the IP CNC is always taking when it refers to its self.
    ( the second line is CNC ‘s IP, same with the IP inside protocol.ini file, followed by the name CNC is taking in the network, separated by a space. Here I named it CNC).
    The third line is the IP and the network name for the winXP PC in our desktop. Here I named it W2K3SRV . IMPORTAND the IP ‘s part 192.168.0. must be the same with the CNC IP’s part.
    192.168.0.200 CNC
    192.168.0.1 W2K3SRV

5. From our CNC’s C:\NET directory we are running NETSHARE. We are making share the C: drive of CNC (or any other we like) with the network name CNC (as we named it in hosts).

That’s all for the CNC side of the connection

Setting the desktop PC. (in windows XP)
    The DOS CNC’s are using the NETBEUI protocol.
    This protocol has been discontinued a lot of time ago from Microsoft (this has been discontinued with the first release of Windows XP)
    You have to add this protocol driver to your XP PC when connecting to the ethernet card of the CNC. At the end when the system works you should see the CNC as a drive in the network, same on the side of the CNC, you will see an extra drive name in the available list and will be the folder on pc where the CNC is networked to..
    please also check this document at microsoft support page:

How to install NetBEUI on Windows XP
    1. For installing netbeui protocol you have to copy only 2 files from the installing CD of the windows XP.
    From the DIRECTORY x:\drivers/netbeui of the CD
    To the DIRECTORY c:\windows\system32\drivers

Instructions at How to install NetBEUI on Windows XP

2. then you have to open Control Panel-network connections-Local connection, the connection you need to be active (right click)-Properties
    3. from the tab GENERAL find NetBeui Protocol-Click it and Install it.
    4. from the same tab next to Netbeui Protocol is Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click and open its properties
    5. Make the settings as following.
    do not let to take automatic IP address but give these
    address IP =192.168.0.1
    subnet mask= 255.255.255.0

6. save and exit.
    7. exit to the dos environment START->RUN->CMD->OK
    8. Go and Check CNC to be in dos prompt, ONLY (and not in any console of working)
    9. Return to your desktop XP PC and type in DOS the following:
    net use w: \\cnc\c_drive and press enter

Normally it has to show on your computer a new drive named W: wich is the CNC’s shared drive you maked.

You can do everything you want to as another file on your computer and when you have finished type in dos prompt the following
    C:\ net use w:\\cnc\c_drive /DELETE to disconnect the CNC machine until the next time you need it.

SUGGESTION
    I did connect my desktop XP PC (with the cad-cam package and all the other programs I was working until now for my business ) directly with the CNC machine via the Ethernet port and I did disconnect it from the internet for life. So i am not connecting and disconnecting the CNC with my desktop PC every time (even it will be very easy to make 2 *.bat file for this, one to connect and one to disconnect).
    I did install in office, another old PC (with Linux) and I did connect this PC in internet..

Thanks Vangelis

you have several choices : either
    - connect tru network and use a ftp client (it exists for dos) but you require a network card and proper drivers for it .
    - install win3.1 (or more) + winsock + use a ftp or some windows share client
    - install an old program called (darn so old i forgot!) fastwire (not THAT fast...) lets you connect 2 pcs with a wire ( either parallele or serial, "null modem" cables)
    - install the mass-storage and usb dos drivers...

you might try booting a puppy linux from a usb key if the pc is recent and supports usb booting...

Page 2 of 2 12