586,096 active members*
3,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy HSR air cuts and non centre cutting

Hi all

1. I have been using HSR to do a lot of ruoghing on aluminium, with the process set to auto box boundary of stock. With tool on external. I find this way I don't get any collisions, but get a hell of a lot of air cutting. Can this be reduced. The billet it only a cylinder, and auto box with external does work, but like I said nearly half the time it air cuts.

2. If your using a non centre cutting tool, like a indexable (inserts) endmill, and as using HSR, the part has a hole in there, instead of calling another tool, can it be set to rough out the hole, with let's say ramping or something, because if I have step down set to 3mm, the hole area will collide, but because there is no option on there that i can see to say the tool is non-centre cutting, it tries to plunge in 3mm, this area will need ramping on small plunge steps, unless I'm missing something?

Thanks for any help

Pings

Pings,

have you tried setting tool to Center, and manually selecting your boundry? ie - stock = the stock and the target = your object, then manually "define" the geometry that outlines your object?

for me doing it this way, when i come back to profile out the object, it cuts out perfectly, and i seem to waste zero cutting time, everything cuts.

as for 2, i have a similar issue but the opposite. Say my object has holes, and i want to omit the holes altogether...yeah..cant figure that out..i used solidcam to cut a guitar body..had it use a 3/4" bit for roughing..it roughed the body something amazing, then slowly put holes in the body for the pickups, making me come back with a smaller bit to properly even things out..let me know if you find the answer to your 2.

Cheers I will give the 1st one a go, and the 2nd thing, I'll work on it.

sorry man didnt see the "no center cutting" in the topic title until i got a reply in my email. Lemme know how it goes

Have you tried using cylindrical stock instead of auto box boundary? That should eliminate all the air cuts with the exception of when the tool is external.

I'll have to check on the other issue at work.

Zeppelin, Your in luck it is easy to do what you want. Right click the CAM model (just above the design model in the Feature manager design tree ) then click edit. Then do a surface offset of 0.000 (no offset). Hide the solid body to make working on the surface easy. Click the edge of the holes and do an untrim. Lastly use this surface as your target. I also extend a surface past a part profile so a ballnose doesn't "drop" off an edge when I have my tool tangent to a work area. Hope this helped.

Hi

I normally set to external to guarantee it cuts from clear area, if I set to internal using the cylindrical profile, is there a way to increase the minimum helical ramping radius? Because if its too small then the non centre cutting tool will just crash??

Hi

Not sure what planet I was on, but the ramping stuff is under link tab. Stupid me, anyway, just for a quick reference, if I have various holes, some small and some upto 25mm diameter, and I have a 16mm endmill, just to say, how do I set it, to only ramp with a minimum diameter of 18mm?

Use Helix Ramping and set to your desired diameter.
    As for setting your cutter to the outside of your boundary try ticking “Detect Core Areas” in the passes tab. This makes the cutter approach from outside the stock whenever possible.
    And when setting your stock up try making a sketch of your billet diameter and use extruded boundary to set your stock up.
    You can also set the limits by stock on the passes tab. This should help reduce air cuts.