586,103 active members*
3,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Cutting multiple objects on one stock?

Cutting multiple objects on one stock?

My router's cutting area is 17x11 and I have a 3/4" MDF with those dimensions ready to be cut. I have multiple parts(4) I'd like to cut on one program. I arranged these 4 parts to fit within this 17x11 area in Autodesk Inventor Fusion however when I import the stl file to MeshCam they're arranged very far apart, exceeding my routers dimensions. How can I bring the 4 parts back together within this 17x11 space to be cut? Is this the right way of doing things or should I load one part into MeshCam at a time? This actually will be my first cut so Im not sure if Im missing something obvious or what.

If you change them in Inventor to pack them together tighter then MeshCAM will load and machine them with no problems.

The nature of an STL file is such that MeshCAM cannot move just one object within the file- multiple CAD objects are combined into a single object in the STL file so MeshCAM can only load them as the CAD program saved them.

-Robert
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

UserJ, I do this all the time. I place some verticle bars of stock on the CAD drawing 1/4 " wide that connects all the loose pieces in the interior and use the Meshcam standoffs around the outside. The imported STL has the interior connectors and it imports as one piece. If not for these connectors the interior edges would be unsupported.
    wizzardworks