586,096 active members*
3,724 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How is this made?

See image below. It is a cheek piece adjusting mechanism from an Anschutz target rifle. As I hobby I make target rifle stocks for some of my club mates and this would be a common part that is used. I am pretty good at woodworking, but also pretty clueless about all things metal. It seems to me that $150 is kinda pricey for the part shown below and looking for a lower cost alternative. I have researched possibly getting a mill and it seems like it would be possible to make something similar myself, but I'm also interested in looking at maybe finding a company that could make them for me. I'd be interested in maybe buying 50-100 of them at a time. But with my limited metalworking knowledge, I don't even know what terms to Google for to find companies that could make something like this. What would be the name of the manufacturing process to make something like this, i.e. "Custom Aluminum XXXXXX"?

The base piece would be milled, normally on a 3 axis vertical machining center.

The screws would be made on a lathe, then slotted and drilled on a mill. The knurled nut would be made on a lathe and then would have to be slotted on a mill as well.

Any "real" machine shop would have no problem with these parts. Look for a local machine shop or ask around at places that use machine shops to find a good one.

You should be able to get 100 of them at a significantly lower price than $150 each.

Matt

Not a complex job, but a lot of simple steps to make it.

$150 sounds like a lot, but you won't find a machine shop (one that stays in business, anyway) that could make 1 for that price. 10, maybe.

It could be made of stainless steel and polished, mild steel and black oxided, or aluminum and anodized,,, all a matter of choice, all equally functional.

Even for a batch of 100pcs, this would be easy and inexpensive in a manual shop. The only part really benefitting from CNC would be the base bracket, but on a manual machine, you'd just set up and do one operation at a time. No biggee.

A Calculated-Big-A$$-Guess for a run of 100 would be +/- $30ea plus mat'l. Less if the shop's hungry and/or efficient.

Fizz

It would be quite tedious to make the fillets on all 4 corners on a manual machine, no? Also it looks like the tops of the tabs have a large radius on them that would be difficult to make with a manual machine. I'd say it's a job for CNC.

Matt

Fillets could be scribed and sanded in.

A corner rounding endmill, with the blanks ganged up.... run down one side, the up the other... Flip the parts over and repeat for rounding the bases.

... In any case, there's 9 ways to do it, and my way is usually slower.

I like to keep my manual skills up, it helps keep things in perspective... and gets me out of a bind if the CNC isn't available. You'd be amazed how many CNC kids don't know how to do simple manual operations!

"Single point a thread on a manual lathe? You can DO that??"

I think 150$ for 1 piece can be realistic. For a small 3axes cnc mill you have an hourly rate of under 50$. Thats nearly 3 hours plus material of maximum 5$. For the screws, I would simply cut of some hex or allenscrews. Cut the slot and drill one hole plus the manufacturing of the baseholder and the knurled ring should last not longer than 2 1/2 hour.

On a manual mill you will need a lot more time, because you must clamp and unclamp your part very often. But you can make all parts as well, for a bit more money.

The only problem is, to find a company, they have enough time, to make the parts.

What is the actual size of it. My shop rate is below 50hr.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    What is the actual size of it.
    I don't have one in front of me, but do have one on order. I'll post additional specs when I receive it.

On my computerscreen, the size of the threads is 16mm, if I think of gunparts I've seen before, I believe the parts have a maximum size of 6mm, so the length of the baseplate should be in the range of 0.8''

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    I like to keep my manual skills up, it helps keep things in perspective... and gets me out of a bind if the CNC isn't available. You'd be amazed how many CNC kids don't know how to do simple manual operations!

"Single point a thread on a manual lathe? You can DO that??"
    cutting tapered threads on a manual?

freaking thing had a taper attachment n the idiot had no idea what it did... just spent $50k on a cnc replacement instead. who said a fool and his money are soon parted? they seem to attract it!