586,036 active members*
3,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: MSG-501

MSG-501

Hey I have a question about load monitoring on this control, machine is a zl-203, with a sub. I see Moris load monitoring is pretty straight forward. I just got off okumas using it very effectively. Is it true you have to write in on every line? Is their a code to make it ignore rapid moves? Can I set it to differentiate tools in the same turret position? Also main from sub? Any info would be great! I'm very happy to be back on fanuc, osp was a pain in the ass at times.

On mine (SL-253/MSG-500/MAPPS-II/CAPS) this is the code.....

M92 F1.0 (enable Tool Load Monitoring using setting #1.... I have 1 to 12 monitors available)
    G1 Z-100.0 F0.25 (your actual cutting goes here)
    M93 (cancel TLM)

If you want monitoring on other tools just add the above 2 lines to that tool where you want the monitoring done but change the F1.0 to F2.0, F3.0, F4.0 etc (up to F12.0) and set the loads up separately.

TLM ignores rapid anyway so don't worry about that. monitoring is only done on feeds (G1/G2/G3)

you set the loads in the settings page (LOAD MONITOR)
    run your tool with TEACHING highlighted. A number will be recording in the NORMAL% column. After that set it to MONITOR then in the % columns set the warning and alarm load levels. I normally set warning at 150% and alarm at 180% but it depends on your tool strength, material being cut, servo capacity etc.

Thanks fordav11, not the first time you've helped me!!! I thought you were an Okuma guy! I will be using that on Monday, we run lights out at the new shop I'm in, and I can't wait to show them the benefits of monitoring!

I've worked on many machines. Okumas and Mori's at the moment.

You were dead right on that Fordav! Follow up question though, if you please! Why (at least on Mapps 3 on an NL) is their no identifier number for the B axis? Yet it reads regular load on it? Follow me on that one?

I'm not sure what you mean? Identifier number? More info needed.
    Or do you mean a load for B on the monitor page?
    also what is B on your NL? normally B is a rotational axis containing an internal milling spindle like the 'red head' on an NT

"B" is the travel of the sub spindle to the main on these. "A" is the rotary tool. On the mx 850 control I can't find the number for load monitoring to differentiate between sub spindle load and "b" load.
    Also on my more primitive msg-501, I can't find any numbers identifying which axis or axes I want to monitor. Any help is very much obliged! Thanks Fordav!!!

In tool life, how should the code read? On a MSG 501, I'm stuck! Help!

Okay it's not my code! I'm getting the "3016" alarm. Tool not registered properly I reviewed the manual for the hundredth time, after manually setting everything I hit the Greset, nothing seems to happen. Anyone?

Tool Life Management is a different game completely. You need to register the tool in the tool life screens and set how long the tool life is (minutes or number of uses) and which tool can be used next in the same group as a replacement when the life is expired.
    The info can be set with a program too.....

O0001
    G334 F1. (tool life registration mode on, F1 = register all groups. F0 = no groups)
    A1. B1. C100. (A=group 1, B1= count by number of uses, C = life is 100)
    T1001001. (first life tool)
    T1002002. (2nd life tool)
    T1003003. (3rd life tool)

A2. B2. C300. (A=group 2, B2= count in minutes, C=life is 300)
    T1004004. (first life tool)
    T1005005. (2nd life tool)

G335 (tool life registration mode off)
    M30

Run the program and the data will be entered into your tool life management screens.

In the program you need to add more tool life stuff like M300 (life count, add at end of program) and to call a tool you only call the group and the machine does the tool selection like this....
    G336 T1. (call tool group 1)

You can only monitor an axis that has a load bar on the normal load screen. if you need to monitor an axis that does not have a monitor load bar then you need to add it using some secret parameters. PM me for more info.

But first upload a pic of your monitor screen so I can get an idea of what you have.

If you can't figure out the tool life stuff post a pic of the tool life screen too.

btw are you sure you have tool life management? Its an option and the screens show but many of the items in the screens are non-active and can't be set if the option is not enabled.

Hey! I'm almost positive it has it! Tomorrow I'll definitely send your pics of the screens! I didn't get a chance today I was setting up an NL with the much more straight forward mx(?)850 control. I'm dead set on utilizing the Tlm and the load monitoring, the rest of my shop is falling love with it! As well as the boss!

hmm, you say B is the sub spindle travel so monitoring it is not usually done. why do you need to monitor it? for a transfer? if yes you use G38 (Workpiece Pushing Detection) for that purpose.