586,094 active members*
4,099 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 3mm MDF

3mm MDF

Can anyone provide assistance in locating a U.S. supplier of 3mm mdf? I have looked all over the internet and can find none here in the U.S.

Milt

Quote Originally Posted by mondo50m View Post
    Can anyone provide assistance in locating a U.S. supplier of 3mm mdf? I have looked all over the internet and can find none here in the U.S.

Milt
    I've heard from a few people who just consider 3mm to be the same as 1/8" for wood products. A 0.007" difference isn't very much for wood.

I just grabbed some calipers to check, and the nominally 1/8" MDF I have right now is closer to 3mm than to 1/8"

So, where does one get 1/8" MDF? Lowes or Home Depot do not have it. I have not found it anywhere.

Milt

You are fortunate to have a Home Depot store that carries it. It is not available in the stores in my area. Tried for a 50 mile radius and no luck.

Milt

Weird. Where are you?

I am in Leesburg, Florida. I can get all of the 1/4" that I would ever need, but I am not interested in 1/4".

Milt

romaclumber.com? You might be able to get them or Home Depot to order some in for you.

It will be quite helpful if someone can list the laser working material suppliers. Many of my customers also interested in that. Some asked to ship with the machines, but it will cost long time and i have found the prices are also not low.

As far as I know there is no such thing as 3mm thick MDF available. Even when it is sold as 3mm it is not exactly 3mm thick. It is actually 3.12 mm thick which is exactly 1/8"

And here in Australia it is sold as 3mm. Nobody cares to mention that it is 4% thicker than marked.

I just measured a pile I have here and it is 3.00mm. Someone makes it !!

The MDF I get from my local Bunnings ranges from 3.05 to 3.15mm thickness.
    Funnily enough, the big 2400x1200 sheets are generally thinner than the 1200x900 sheets by the same manufacturer.

Pretty much, it looks like I am going to have to do some more looking to find either 3mm or 1/8" MDF. Neither one exists in Florida, so far.

Milt

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    I just measured a pile I have here and it is 3.00mm. Someone makes it !!
    Neil, yours is probably from China. I asked for some samples to be cut out on a Chinese laser I am buying. They sent them to me and these samples are 15mm thick. I had never thought there was 15mm MDF available until I got these samples.

Has anyone here used the 1/8" laser wood from Laserbits? I hae ordered 2 pieces to see what it is and if it is going to be cuttable. We will see.

Milt

Hi milt
    try lowes they have 3mm (1/8) mdf with a wood or grey color
    greetings
    waltfl

Quote Originally Posted by mondo50m View Post
    Pretty much, it looks like I am going to have to do some more looking to find either 3mm or 1/8" MDF. Neither one exists in Florida, so far.

Milt