586,269 active members*
3,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Kitamura > Kitty MyCenter 1 Late 80's to 2000 vintage

Kitty MyCenter 1 Late 80's to 2000 vintage

Hello! I'm new here and this is my first post.

I own a small gunmaking company in the Black Hills of SD and am about to purchase another VMC. I'm looking hard/heavy at a Kitamura MyCenter 1 from the Late 80's-2000 era as the price range fits my budget well.

I'd like someone's help in determining if this is the right machine for my application/price range. It's purpose is largely singular. I currently have a HAAS VF1 that I use for "accurizing" various types of production grade receivers. It's worked well, but its time to dedicate a machine for this operation.

The MC1's I've seen all seem to use either BT30 or BT35 tool holders. It's a style I'm not familiar with as I've only used either CAT40 or CAT50 style tapers.

My application does not involve invasive/heavy stock removal nor does it require a large work envelope. The features already present in the receiver are merely resurfaced/conditioned/qualified. I also have a developing product line that may also be run on this machine assuming it'll handle it. Most of the parts are either 6061 AL or mild steel with some heat treatable SS occasionally too.

So, all this being said, is a Kitamura MC1 a machine appropriate for this application? My gut says it'll be fine and I really like the idea of the heavier boxed ways and 15K spindle speed, but after looking at what the used market offers, Kitamura seems to be the only manufacturer using the smaller spindle taper so it's raised questions/doubts. The one I'm most interested in has a FANUC control, but my research suggests that the Yasnac is also a robust/reliable piece as well.

Any advise offered will be appreciated and considered.

Thanks a bunch.

Chad

Kitty MyCenter 1 Late 80's to 2000 vintage

Try to stay away from the yasnac control, not much support any longer. 30 taper will be on the small side, and 35 taper tooling will be more expensive, as not a lot of companies making that any longer, only you can decide if it will work for you. A early 15k spindle like that won't have much low end power, so keep that in mind as well. Also, kitamura from those years had z axis gib problems, so check the machine accuracys carefully before you buy. If you get a good one, they are nice machines.