586,103 active members*
3,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Puma MX Issue

Hello.

We bought a Doosan Puma MX1600ST in the fall. The machine was delivered in December and we finally had it powered up in the beginning of January.

The machine has a couple of issues, and I was hoping that someone could give me a suggestion on how to fix.

The machine is not drilling on center with the B-axis. If we rotate the axis to 90 degrees so that we could drill a hole in the center of a part, it is off. Initially it was off 0.700". The distributor came and re-indicated the B-axis and went through their procedures, but it is still off 0.010" from the center.

I have a few concerns and am looking for suggestions. The distributor has been "sort of" working on the problem for a few weeks now and not making any progress. They are assuring me that it is a parameter issue, but I am wondering if something else might be off in the machine?

Finally, one of my engineers is concerned about the lack of calibration that Doosan has said they need to do on this equipment. This is our second 5-axis capable machine(although it doesn't have full 5, full 4 plus positioning). It seems like they would have to take some time to re-check everything, but they assure me it only needs to be done at the factory.

Please send any suggestions including processes or procedures that you recommend to make sure they get this thing on center and we can run it.

And of course we have all sorts of work for it that we are now late on!

abhthree

MX machines require a very qualified service engineer with specialty tooling to install to factory specifications. On mx machines leveling is very critical as well. To start at the end of installation the engineer should be required to turn between centers and check for taper, on twin spindle machines i utilize two bars that cover most of machine travel. use micrometers to check ends of both parts. i would want to see 2 micron or less deviation. Also engineer should confirm all geometric alignments are with in spec to the blue book in the electrical cabinet. If you are not familiar to Doosan equipment all geometry tests and allowable deviations are noted there. Ask them to show you with presicion test bar xz and yz alignments at b-90 and b90 then with b0 check alignments. If all is good with b axis command at b90 and b-90 to x axis centerline of each spindle and check centerline of test bar to spindle. There is a data bit that will compensate from main to sub spindle but this should be correct from factory. Also any work performed on mx machine requires very thorough service engineer as if your dealer moved the home on the machine he would have to reteach the q-setter, soft limits, verify atc centering and such. I am not sure who your dealer is but mx is very good machine. but also i have found the more complex a machine is the more debug that is present at start up.

you can ask a professional to do a Laser Calibration axis for high precise positing accuracy and Repeatability

I worked for a Doosan dealer, and there is alignment kit that must be used to setup an MX. One of the tooling companys sells it for 4500$, over the years you will need it.

Do you have this resolved yet? If not, I have an Installation Manual for a MX2600 (similar in procedures and requirements) that I can send you. It should help get you to the "properly set-up" condition, and allow you to see if there is anything actually "wrong" with the machine. If you are interested, send a request via email to: [email protected]