586,100 active members*
2,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Font Fail

Font Fail

Customer sent a DXF file with a Font of a word that I need to 3D Engrave.The problem is the letter will not tool path.So I tried to Explode it,then I marked the 4 corners with intersection points.Then I deleted the 4 lines that made up the letter I.Then did line join to recreate geometry.It still will not work.Anybody care to take a stab at it.I could probably look for a similar Font,but now I am determined to try to make this work.Stubborn.One thing that struck me as odd is the Z is .0394.I use standard dimensioning.Don't know why that would be .0394 high in Z,unless that is the way they drew it.Either way I would not think that would affect the letter I.Here is the file,thanks for any help ahead of time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

JR

i can profile the od with .032 tool
    center line with profile
    pocket with .030 tool
    and engrave with .032 tool
    did nothing but select the geo.

it is .0394 above z 0
    not sure what is happening
    i do get above and below 0 sometimes with dxf files also
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture3.JPG  

Thanks dwood.But can you 3D Engrave it??

yep

3d engrave and v carve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture5.JPG  

Da_ _ itt,I keep saying 3D Engrave when I mean V-Carve.OK,I figured it out,,V23 will not V Carve the I.I get home and try V25,it will.WTF.Guess that will work,that's why I bought both versions,ha.I woulda figured that out a couple of hours ago if I had a ""DONGLE""for V25 like I do for V23,HA.

dxf is a complex filetype as there are a trillion flavors and programs that do different things. Your best option is to have the customer "Not" send things to you as a block type, because you dont really know what you have.

The text block opens as 2 different fonts in V24 and V25.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dxf_text_block.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	177196

The font listed in the dxf is actually:

Copperplate Gothic Light (Do an entity modify on the text block before you explode it and set the font to the one I listed above to see what your missing)

There are also a few flags on that font in the file, that could mean various things like line weights and styles and god knows what from what program.

You dont really know what the customer sent you, unless you both run the same program.

You should double check with them what they sent you...

Burr,how did you know it was a Copperplate Gothic Light Font??

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Burr,how did you know it was a Copperplate Gothic Light Font??
    A dxf file is a simple text file. i opened it and scrolled down to the text definition.

This seems to of worked to my favor.I get an E-Mail yesterday asking for the afore mentioned Font with some work involved on a piece they want me to make.This is actually going to be a mold.Yesterdays E-Mail was just an Adobe PDF.It looks just like the Copperplate Gothic Light Font(pic1).I told them I either need a name for the Font or a DXF file.Today they send a DXF file and opened it and it looks like(pic 2).I kind of thought,well I will tool-path it and Simulate,then E-Mail to customer and see if all was ok.Only problem is,I could not do that in V23.Now I come here and start this thread and I find out it will work in V25.Then Mr. Burr comes here with his bit of information and a name for the font.Soo,I do what Mr. Burr says and Entity Modify the sucker and look at pic (3).There is a lot of room for problems I see with Fonts.So for in the future,(#!)I really need a way to confirm fonts and (#2)If I ever visit Hawaii,for all that Mr. Burr has helped me in the past,present,and probably future,I am going to have to bring him a trunk load of Beer,ha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.JPG   2.JPG   3.JPG  

WOW,opening as Text file.Did not know that.I just did that.There is a lot of info there for just a word.Have no idea what it all means.But I reckon you do.That must be why you say there are flags and things wrong with file.

Hey jr,
    If you ever visit, I'll have "a couple" beers with you, but this guy told me I needed less, so a couple will do.

There is stuff like "fill" on the text (which doesnt mean anything to you the machinist). The general outline of that font should be it.

One thing you may do, is ask the customer to "print" what they are sending you. On windows, you can print to the "Microsoft XPS Document Writer", or pdf or even screen capture (Lots of free ways for them to get you a visual confirmation of what they are sending). This can be sent "with the dxf" as a confirm thing or something like that.

This is super secret, just between us in this pm. We dont want others to get any of our info.... Especially "BobCad user's"....

Oh No!!!! Did i just post this publicly?

Rats... Oh well... Next time we'll keep it secret.

I did a little more looking at the file. Note that a "missing font" is being reported and replaced on my system.

Although most likely the same, they "could" be different somehow from each other. "Your" copperplate light can be different from "their" copperplate light... lol best to just clarify things in email, and also about how "precise" things are required.