586,106 active members*
2,916 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > How to use M998 tool changes with busted limit switch?

How to use M998 tool changes with busted limit switch?

One of the Tormach mills which I use, but do not own, has a flaky x limit switch. Due to all the accumulated crap in there, it sometimes doesn't trigger. Sometimes I can get it to work by blowing compressed air on it.

In any case, the problem is that m998 tool changes no longer work because the x axis is not referenced, even though I have it set such that on a tool change, the machine only goes up and not sideways.

Is there a way I can tell Mach3 (whichever default installation Tormach hands out) to "never mind the X axis"? Or is there a way for me to "reference" the X axis (so that the light next to the X DRO is green instead of red) without actually hitting the limit switch?

The hard way is for me to replace the M998 in my g code with g0 z(something), since I now have to hand modify all the g code my postprocessor spits out.

Mach only knows that a limit switch has been hit not which one. You could spoof the limit action by jogging close to X home, then clicking on Ref All. When the X starts to move, trigger either the Z or Y limit manually.

You might also try switching to Machine Coordinates, there is a button on one of the UIs for that, and Zeroing the axis. I don't know if this will work but it is worth a shot.

Will they allow you to do any work on the machine? If it is an older machine with both upper and lower limit switches on the Z, you could swap that out the never used lower limit switch with the X limit. That lower switch is redundant and Tormach stopped using it some time ago. Or you could order a switch from Tormach for about $30 and gift it to them for letting you use the machine.

bob

Why not just replace the X axis limit switch. The one on my machine went bad a few months ago, and I replaced it with a waterproof switch and have had no more problem.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    The hard way is for me to replace the M998 in my g code with g0 z(something), since I now have to hand modify all the g code my postprocessor spits out.
    You can use the VB script editor to edit the m998 macro.

Or you can edit your code to replace every M998 with "G53 G00 Z0"

Personally, I'd edit the code. Using Find/Replace, you'll have your code modified in seconds.

Frederic

Re: How to use M998 tool changes with busted limit switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Why not just replace the X axis limit switch. The one on my machine went bad a few months ago, and I replaced it with a waterproof switch and have had no more problem.
    Did you adjust your Ramps to get the full 18" in X aswell? I moved my ramps to get 10"x18", stock was 9 something in Y and 17 something in X.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Did you adjust your Ramps to get the full 18" in X aswell? I moved my ramps to get 10"x18", stock was 9 something in Y and 17 something in X.
    I didn't need to adjust anything. I get a full 18 X 9.5.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I set my post to just output the G53, then the ATC takes over from there. Works great even if only the Z is referenced (which the ATC does as soon as it starts). Even without the ATC I couldn't see any reason to move X and Y for tool changes except in very rare circumstances of really long drills and tall parts, and I can jog those.

Re: How to use M998 tool changes with busted limit switch?

ATC still works with just M6 T#, you just won't have the tool offset if you don't do G43 H#