586,114 active members*
3,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cheap Z-Axis Brakes

I found a nice new (cheap) brake for my Z-Axis that I though some of you might want to incorporate. I hope it's OK to post about an ebay listing, I have no affiliation with the seller. If you search for Ogura Clutch/Brake you'll find it and it says more than 10 are available. It's a power-off 24VDC brake, and NEMA mounting brakes are very expensive new so I chose this one. I attached a picture of the brake, and 3D model of how I'm mounting mine with a 1/4" extension pressed into the ballscrew shaft. I hope this helps someone, even if your Z-Axis doesn't drop under its own weight it could still save a part from being ruined if you get a fault that kills your control circuit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00470.jpg   Z Sub-Assembly.jpg   Z Sub-Assembly2.jpg  

Re: Cheap Z-Axis Brakes

Thanks. I don't know how to use it, but I've saved it for later

I have a 20-pound gas spring that counterbalances the weight of z-plate. Works very well.
    Not only it prevents drooping of the unpowered z-axis without any control system, it also reduces the torque needed for lifting and allows much higher acceleration
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    I have a 20-pound gas spring that counterbalances the weight of z-plate. Works very well.
    Not only it prevents drooping of the unpowered z-axis without any control system, it also reduces the torque needed for lifting and allows much higher acceleration
    What's a "gas spring"? Do you have a pic? I've got the openrail and v-wheels for the X and Y. I was going to use that on the Z, but now I'm gonna use the pillow block and rod. I'm not quite sure what size rod, but I think that will work better because I want to be able to remove the tool head and use a pen or blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Marti View Post
    What's a "gas spring"? Do you have a pic? .......
    It is what keeps the trunk lid or hood open on many cars. It is just a pneumatic cylinder that is pre-pressurized with nitrogen.
    McMaster has a good selection, they are pretty cheap. I installed them with a little flex in the mounting bracket so that the minor stick-slip effect does not affect the z-motion.
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    It is what keeps the trunk lid or hood open on many cars. It is just a pneumatic cylinder that is pre-pressurized with nitrogen.
    McMaster has a good selection, they are pretty cheap. I installed them with a little flex in the mounting bracket so that the minor stick-slip effect does not affect the z-motion.
    thanks