586,119 active members*
3,518 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry 2008 Haas VF6/50 SMTC

Hi group,

I have a 50 taper VF 6 with a SMTC that we have had spindle orientation issues after roughing since the machine was new. After roughing jobs the orientation will be off up to 3/4". We have replace the encoder, encoder pulley, belt, transmission side pulley several times. We even have it after roughing aluminum where we have very little tool pressure. I attended the HFO Customer Maintenance and Repair training in Oxnard last April and they had no real answers for me. Anyone else have this issue, I am ready to be done with it!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BJSwart View Post
    Hi group,

I have a 50 taper VF 6 with a SMTC that we have had spindle orientation issues after roughing since the machine was new. After roughing jobs the orientation will be off up to 3/4". We have replace the encoder, encoder pulley, belt, transmission side pulley several times. We even have it after roughing aluminum where we have very little tool pressure. I attended the HFO Customer Maintenance and Repair training in Oxnard last April and they had no real answers for me. Anyone else have this issue, I am ready to be done with it!

Thanks.
    20 Questions time:

This only happens when roughing? Do you have a lot of vibration? It never happens at any other time? Is the orientation off rotationally by 3/4"?
    How old is the machine? Is the encoder the newer magnetic one or is it an optical encoder?

Okay, technically that was 6 questions.
    From what you described, I would have thought that at least one of the items you replaced would have taken care of the issue.

If this is really only happening during a roughing cycle where there is heavy vibration, I would focus on what that vibration could be affecting.

Set aside the fact that you replaced a buch of parts and start fresh with the thought process.

Mechanical: During the roughing cycle there is usually a lot of torque involved which could suggest belt slipping, although, you mentioned low tool pressure when cutting aluminum.

Does the problem happen in Low or High gear only or both?

If only happening during roughing cycle I would not focus on encoder belt/pulley to much unless you think vibration could be causing the belt to jump.

Electrical: Try to think of anything electrical that the vibration can effect from the mocon board, cables, power supply, to the encoder itself.

If you still are getting nowhere, you might want to call in a service tech. At least they can try different parts without charging you for them if they don't fix the issue. Sometimes you have to give in to trial and error.

This definitely has me intrigued so be sure to post back with some follow up.

Good luck!

Forgot to ask and this goes along with the age question, but is this machine in warranty?

"...the orientation will be off up to 3/4"."

What does that mean? Off on Z axis? Off on spindle rotation? (Rotation should be measured in degrees.)

Lack of communication skills may be a reason for lack of solution to a problem.

If problem was reported to Haas during the waranty period and still not corrected 1 year later, why didn't a lawyer handle this for you at that time?

I am guessing the real story is that the original problem was corrected (or patched) but keeps coming back.