586,299 active members*
3,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Aspire > multiple 3D roughing passes in aspire?

multiple 3D roughing passes in aspire?

guys im a bit stumped. got a nice little sign made up...mostly 3D/curvy.

Its telling me machine time is going to be 5 hours!

So, as i've learned from solidcam, do a rest roughing...

I started with a .75", then a .375, then a .25 for roughing. The first 2 take unde 20 minutes and do a great deal of work, but that .25 really adds the definition..the PROBLEM IS, the .25 goes over every inch the .375 went, the .375 goes over every inch the .75 went, thusly, making this whole procedure pointless! lol

what is the magic step im missing guys? i know it can be done with 2D and 2.5D profiles and pockets...

Hi,
    From what I can understand about your .75, .375 and the .25 it is the tool you are using, if that is the case, why not use a .5 for the roughing and take the .25 for the finishing tool, it wil be a lot faster and you won't be cutting air.
    Hope this will help

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin1007 View Post
    guys im a bit stumped. got a nice little sign made up...mostly 3D/curvy.

Its telling me machine time is going to be 5 hours!

So, as i've learned from solidcam, do a rest roughing...

I started with a .75", then a .375, then a .25 for roughing. The first 2 take unde 20 minutes and do a great deal of work, but that .25 really adds the definition..the PROBLEM IS, the .25 goes over every inch the .375 went, the .375 goes over every inch the .75 went, thusly, making this whole procedure pointless! lol

what is the magic step im missing guys? i know it can be done with 2D and 2.5D profiles and pockets...
    It does not have that function as of v 3. Maybe in 3.5 but I haven't played with it, rest milling is something that would be killer is aspire though
    CHOCLATE? THIS IS DOODOO BABY!

There's an Aspire tutorial on how to do rest machining in Aspire, I think on the DVD that comes with it. It's not a built in function, and requires some work, but it's possible.

So, as i've learned from solidcam, do a rest roughing.............what is the magic step im missing guys?
    What kind of finishing tool are you using? Unless your using very long 1/16" tools (or smaller) for finishing, a single roughing pass with a larger tool should be sufficient. The finishing pass is usually only removing about .005-.01 per pass, so even if the roughing tool leaves a lot of material, it still presents very little load on the finishing tool.
    A lot of guys using tapered ballnose finishing tools actually skip the roughing pass altogether, because the taper tools are quite strong, and only the first pass is cutting more than the .005-.01 that I mentioned.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

cutting down on time

its the tool bit stepover ,check the rough setting and the final

walnut fish display - YouTube

the classical restmachining and pencilmilling wont works within aspire..

but a little similar is there..
    there was a tutorial with a grape cluster and leaf.. the roughing toolpath was saved as model and subtracted from the original model..
    and that was toolpathed again somehow..