586,068 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Finishing Off 3D Printed Parts - Objet

Hi guys,

The company I work for/manage have recently put in an Objet Connex 3D Printer. We obviously love it and are amazed by the technology. One thing i am questioning is this, is there a way to further finish off a printed part? I'm hesitant to put sand paper or anything like that to it incase i ruin the finish which is extremely good however i am obviously looking for things to be improved further.

Cheers.

If you would like to see some of the parts we have printed so far check out our facebook and if you want to keep seeing some of the parts i would really appreciate a "like"

Cammpro - solutions through innovation | Facebook

Or Search Cammpro

Maybe some kind of sprayed on filler then a coat of paint would do the job. There may be no need to sand after the spray filler and then a gloss coat could go onto that.

Just a thought.

Re: Finishing Off 3D Printed Parts - Objet

Mist acetone onto if you are using ABS

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sanding it would be okay. But, if you want you can also paint the finished 3D printed parts using acrylic paint to give it a little splash of color especially if you used a transparent or white filament. Here’s an example of colourful 3D printed items: Cool 3D print created by 3D2PRINT's customers.
    3D2PRINT.NET - Creating 3D Dimension

Re: Finishing Off 3D Printed Parts - Objet

Objet machines print in a different sort of material than the hot-extrusion printers most people here are familiar with, so methods that work with ABS and PLA parts probably won't work on yours. The more flexible materials would be especially challenging. I'd advise you to contact the company and ask them about post-printing treatments for your parts.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

This will depend on your 3D printing materials. For this material ABS Filament with 1.75mm | Best Sellers and Discounts - 3D2PRINT I do a primer coat first. I prefer spraying the paint than brushing it using acrylics. Allow it to dry before matte painting, this will give a better result and hide little painting defects.