586,070 active members*
3,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

loading programs into dos

I Am Setting Up A Hurco Kmb1 Mill It Currently Has A Computer Running Dos That Will Only Read Prt Files But Want To Be Able To Load Nc, Txt, Tap Format Files In The Control Panel Of The Machine I Have 4 Boards On Top An 7 Boards On The Bottom All Are The Same Can Any One Give Me Any Input In The Direction I Need To Go To Achieve My Goal Here.

Bkstout,

I moved this here for more exposure..

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well DOS only likes 8 character file names, and up to 3 character filename extensions, but other than that, you should be able to change the extension from nc or tap to prt. You can do this on your windows computer, or you can do it the hard way, by using the REN command in DOS, at the command line.

However, you would still need to format the code in the file to match whatever Hurco requires for gcode or conversational, or whatever.

There, that is 2 cents worth
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

anyone got any ideas where i can find the ren cammands for dos or have any other ideas that might help me out

Hi,

Im not sure of the meaning of your question, but:

move fileA fileB

will rename the file "fileA" to "fileB", but the command is normaly used to move the file to an other directory:

move [path]fileA [path]fileB

Regards,

Hugo

Some DOS commands are embedded in the DOS system, there are some are separate utilities, usually loaded in the DOS directory, for info on DOS commands look at http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

thanks for all the comments i am heading in the right direction now!!!!

If you use DOSSHELL (free gui that comes with DOS 5 and up), the rename process is done much like it is done in Windows but with the 8.3 character limit proviso.

If you have DOS 6, simply type HELP from the C:\ prompt. Look for RENAME (REN) command and follow the directions.