586,055 active members*
4,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Drilling and Tapping AL

Drilling and Tapping AL

I've been told there is a wax you can buy to coat a bit/tap before starting the operation to lessen the AL from clogging the cutter. I've looked around and haven't found anything local. Is there something online that someone recommends? Or some other lubricant?
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

I have always used Tapmajic for aluminum. If not that, then WD-40 will also work.

I can't think of there name but the machine tool place off of 370 in St. Charles should have it.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

You may be thinking of the Boeing Boelube stuff (available at Enco, MSC, etc.)......I use it on my bandsaw when cutting aluminum or steel...works great....haven't tried it when drilling or milling as I always use the TapMagic stuff (sp?).

pminmo,
    IMO, Oh great another opinion
    On advice from a respected machinist I tried form taps on aluminum, and found them far superior in tapping aluminum the cut taps.

A little tip is to spot drill to a small depth .005-.010, if you don't the displacement of metal in the thread forming process will raise a small mound at the thread entrance. Form taps require a different hole size then a cut tap.

Ken

Also regarding the thread forming....generally that is only used for sheet aluminum or thin plate, it's a thread forming tap and as Ken mentioned it uses a smaller drill index.

Wax Lube - Brings back memories...

I've used a product in the past that I think is what you're referring to. I believe it was called "Tap Stick" and came in a red, push-up cardboard tube (circa 1970-80's). We used it to lubricate drills and taps when working with sand and die cast aluminum. I did a quick search but didn't find the original product. I did find a couple of similar products, though. Check out the following links:

Relton Corporation - "Stick-Kut Lubricating Stick Wax"

Travers Tool - "SafeTap Stick"

R & E Paint Supply - "Rotabroach Stick Lubricant"

I hope this helps,

HayTay

i agree with the roll top idea over cutting taps , i used to do a lot of small deep hole tapping in production runs and broke a lot of taps on aluminum ,changed everything over to roll taps ,no more problems , they work nice when stainless is hard to tap on larger holes also

Cool

The wax you referred to is the same beeswax used to lubricate a bandsaw blade, it comes in cardboard tubes and is available at www.use-enco.com
    It's not expensive, but using it on aluminum is ok if you are tapping 4-40's in 1/8 sheet metal, as it works best in through holes!

I also prefer WD-40 for simple tapping setups in aluminum!

Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!